Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"the Elf On The Shelf"

A new one to me! Am always on the look out for new resources and tried to have a look at the website but it was so slow to load, I gave up I'm afraid. Having read the description on Amazon that Santa lets the children know how he decides who have been naughty/nice, I'm afraid, I would possibly give it a miss as I am always cautious about saying/reading things which might contradict what parents might say to the children.

What are you planning to use it for?

I am always cautious about saying/reading things which might contradict what parents might say to the children.

I know what you mean, bluesheep. During a discussion today about what to write in a letter to Santa a child told me today that Santa takes 'naughty' children away. The words "oh no Santa doesn't take children away" were out of my mouth before I even considered the idea that a harrassed parent might have said that in the heat of the moment. :o

Yes, that was a bit my concern... the fact of saying that you get or don't get toys because you were "good" or "naughty". Imagine, rich children will get loads of toys vs those who are poor and might only be able to get one, if any. So what message would that give? That rich people are nice/good and poor are naughty/bad? Something similar is said of St. Nicholas in the Netherlands. How is Father Christmas described?

i feel like im walking on egg shells at this time of the year!! parents say so many different things to children about santa etc.. how he gets in the house, what happens to the letters we send, who gets presents.. im always afraid i'll let the cat out of the bag!!!

Had a quick look at the website and at the north pole you can go to Mrs Claus's kitchen....in there recipe book...often good to get new ideas this time of year...my favourites were cheese straw candy canes....normal cheese straws but red food colouring added to half mixture and then twist red and white pastry strips together to make a candy cane shape....hope that makes sense

The other really easy...triangle of bread spread with peanut butter (could use chocolate spread in case of peanut allergies) and then a pretzel stuck in 2 corners to look like ears and 2 raisins for eyes and a blob of red jam for a nose (could use a red sweet...smartie or something I suppose or a bit of strawberry etc) ....picture on site explains better but might be easy to do with little ones for a xmas party

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)