Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special Needs

Hi iam new to the EYFS framwork and need urgent advice and help i am working in a special school based in Early years. We have pupils who are aged 5 but are working mentally and devlopmental stage of birth-11 month and some pupils around the 20month stage. I WANT TO KNOW WHEN YOU PLAN MEDIUM term and short term planning do you think the objectives to the EYFS goals or can they be the objective given on the framwork birth-11month.

And how do you show that a special needs child progress at the end of the year do you state the devlopmenal age their working at.

Thank you

Hi, welcome to the forum...you are in the right place for help, advice and reassurance :)

I'm in a different setting to you but I would use the development statements rather than the goals. You may even break them down further to what you feel is achievable for each child.

I believe there are additional statements on the eyfs disc which might help you show progression.

Your circumstances are very different and I think it warrants having differentiated assessments to the standard document.

Is your setting new or do you feel your current system isn't suitable for your current cohort

There will be lots of members with more experience and knowledge along shortly but didn't want read and run

Edited by gingerbreadman

I work in a preschool but we have a child aged 3years who is 'operating' at between 6-12 months.

We initially started using the earliest development matters statements and also wrote an IEP.

However we have now scrapped that and we are now using 'early years support'.

Similar to development matters (indeed some of the statements are almost identical) but it is broken down into smaller steps. There are no age related targets, 'ages' don't feature at all.

There are 14 developmental stages with the 6 areas of learning in each stage.

Using this document is a first for me and I am only two weeks in but so far so good and much more appropriate for the child in question.

Edited by Geraldine

Hello!

My personal view is that the statements are often very "wide" and for a child with special needs they haven't, for us anyway shown enough progression.

We use something different for children who are with us but operating at way below their age, developmentally wise.

Of course right now I can't recall its name!!

Sorry.

Not very helpful there :o

I agree with Geraldine, the early support materials are probably what you would need, in a special school where you may have chidlren with multiple or complex needs and early support supports the family and beings agencies together who all have involvement with the child.

You can find out more here..at the bottom there is a developmental journal which you may find useful..this shows the steps that Geraldine referred to.

Have a look and see if they would be the right path for you to follow.

I agree with Geraldine, the early support materials are probably what you would need, in a special school where you may have chidlren with multiple or complex needs and early support supports the family and beings agencies together who all have involvement with the child.

You can find out more here..at the bottom there is a developmental journal which you may find useful..this shows the steps that Geraldine referred to.

Have a look and see if they would be the right path for you to follow.

Thank you all does anyone have a example that i can refer to a profoma possibly also i wanted to now how many focus activities do you have to plan for the week?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)