Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Coordinator

I am an NQT in a nursery attached to a primary school, I have had a successful year and they have asked me to stay on and are going to make my temp contract perm. My early years coord is leaving at the end of the year (july) when I have finished my induction year! I am very interested in applying for the position however do not want governors to be put off by my age, 23 and given that I will have only been a qualified teacher for a year- I was deputy of a private nursery for a year before I started my teacher training and so all the exp is there and I am very confident! Has anyone got any pointers I can put forward to support my application or anyone been in a similar situation!!! Thanks

Nothing to stop you applying, you can only go by the job description and person spec to see if you have the skills knowledge and experience they are looking for. It wouldn't just be nursery though it would be Reception too so experience of teaching that age group might be a useful thing? :)

Cx

Probably not the best person to advise you Green, because I don't know much about school employment policies.

But for what its worth, I agree with Catma: look at the job/person spec, and think carefully about how your experience and knowledge match. Do a SWOT analysis honestly and see where your skills fit and and where they don't. Weigh up how reasonable it is for you to gain the skills/knowledge you need against the weight of your other applicable experience.

If you achieve a good balance, go ahead and apply, stressing how your previous experiences qualify you for the job.

Err, that's what I'd do!

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

Maz

hi Green.

congratulations on the permanent contract, whether or not you get the other promotion that is a good beginning.

Once your NQT year has finished, you will be expected to coordinate a subject. Has that been broached? Could you ask to coordinate early years within that remit?

I understand your enthusiasm and interest and you can only talk to your head about your suitability for this position but I would urge you to think carefully about this as you do need to consolidate your skills and your position in the school with a full timetable. There will be plenty of time to move forward. But with your enthusiasm behind you as a strength, I would certainly ask the head about it.

Good luck.

Hi green, first, congrats on becoming permanent.

Its alwasys a tricky one deciding to go for a promotion after one year in the classroom. You do need to consider the work load involved in terms of the managing, I personally do considerably more managing than I do teaching and that may not be ideal in only your second year, especailly if you are going to be involved in performance management, SMT, training colleagues, etc when you also need to consolidate what you learned in the past year.

On the other hand, you know the school, the staff and the children, and will I expect have an idea abut where the school is going in terms of its early years provision. That would all go in your favour.

There is aboslutely no reason not to apply if you want the position, regular interviews are good practice anyway. But also be prepared that the postion may go to someone with more experience, and that willl depend very much on who applies. I got my very first job, teaching secondary school maths (!!), with no experience simply because I was the only applicant!!

Oh and do read Helen's article abut applying for jobs for some good tips, and let us know what you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I spoke with the head and he was very pleased with my enthusiasm about the promotion- he said that he had thought about me due to the commitment and progress I had already made in the nursery which I have had no help for and done off my own back. He also said that to give someone a management point after their first year of teaching had to be exceptional however he is aware that I was a deputy of a private nursery before I trained as a teacher so I do have some experience of a managerial role.

I have since approached him with action plans and improvement plans to give him a little more of an idea of my capabilities!

so at last, last week the post came on the staffroom notice board- it is onle open to internal applicants and I am sure of 2 others who are applying but unaware of anymore.

So I am now in the process of writing an application letter... I have to include the following.. how I would support and recruit new personnel, maintain policies and procedures, support new admissions, manage the improvement plan, and how I will establish a system whereby progress is monitored. I also have to submit an improvement plan including training, personnel, admissions and standards.

The improvement plan I am ok with, but I was wondering if anyone could advice me on the app letter or if anyone had a good example for me to read if that is not too cheeky to ask!

Thanks for your help!!

gosh, not a lot then!!!

I have been a FS coordinator but not sure I had to do that.

What sort of personel are we talking about? Surely that is down to the head? Or you could talk about the sort of people you would be looking for? As for support, youve just been suppported as an NQT? So what worked, what didnt, what did you do before in your previous role?

Also sounds as if the questions are complimentary to the improvement plan, in its implementation? So if you can write the plan, you can answer the questions?

Havent got a letter of application to support those criteria, so not sure if anything Ive got would be any use.

The FS Co-ord is involved in the recruitment of the new posts within the FS and as this year we have advertised for 2 Nursery Nurses (2 of ours are off to do T. Training) and a reception teacher (to fill the spot of the current Coord) I think this is why he has pushed for info on this.

As for the letters I just wanted to have a look at the structure that people have used before to get an idea of how much to say, how long it should be!

Hi green.

I'm in a similar position to you in that there might be a foundation stage co-ordinator position available soon at my school which I'd like to apply for. I feel quite confident because I've taught in the foundation stage for nearly 4 years, longer than anyone else in my school that might be interested in the position. I'm not sure, however, that it will only be advertised internally, in which case I could be up against some tough competition! We can perhaps give each other some tips and good vibes :)

What your head has said to you certainly sounds encouraging, and your previous managerial experience will go in your favour. You say you're 23 though, is that right? Does that mean you worked at the private nursery at the same time as being at uni? You've managed to fit in a lot for a 23 year old so I don't think you're age would go against you.

Good luck

Well green, it sounds like you have pretty much everything covered. Your letter of application should include all of things you mentiond here as well as anything else that is being asked for. I think the length is up to you unless stated, in my last job application I was limited to 2 sides of A4. Ill scout around and see if I still have the original application i wrote many moons ago when i first became FS coordinator.

Hi jelyhead, welcome. Dont worry about the competition, you never know what you are up against, so concentrate on what you will bring to the post, and both of you , good luck.

That would be brill if you could Mundia, thank you! I keep replying straight away coz Ive been at this on and off, as well as entertaining my 3 year old nephew all morning! Any advice is greatly received! Hi Jellyhead- I think it would be great if we can give each other some ideas, dont worry about your experience I think it often helps the fact that you know the school, staff catchment area etc!

Yes I am only 23- I was very lucky when I left Uni at 21 that I started a job the day after I finished my course as nursery nurse and proved to be successful so after only 2 months was offered an interview for the deputy's position! I therefore say if you really want soemthing- go for it! I always have. I am not counting my chickens and understand that in a state school things are very different I know that this is tough, but am giving it a go- you should too!!!

Good Luck with your application Green it seems as though you have a lot of good ideas. I think it would be a mistake to use another persons application letter - it must come from you or you might find your self being tripped up if in the interview you are asked something about the application you did not write.

I seemed to have been mistaken- I dont want to use anothers application I just wanted to have a look at the structure more than anything- I have written it and am in the process of changing and adding bits, but wanted to check incase I hadnt added enough info on actual co-ordinators role.

I know what you meant, green :) I could do with a starting point myself and it always to helps to have something to look at, even just for the structure. I don't have to worry about writing a letter just yet though. Have you managed to get any help from anyone? What about staff at your school. Is anyone there willing to help or at least have a read through what you've written?

Anyway, if you head has already approached you personally saying that he's already got you in mind for the position then I doubt you've got anything to worry about :)

Good luck

Well time will tell! Ive handed in the application form now and interviews are next week so Ill see what happens Ill keep you posted- thanks for all the advice so far!!! Fingers crossed!!! :o

Well, I've been given an indication today that the FS co-ord position will be available soon. Eeek! I'd better get thinking about what to write in my application letter. Any tips??

Ill send you my letter if you like, found out I have an interview on thursday double eek!!! Anyone got a list or suggestions of questions Ill be asked?!?!?

Keep your fingers crossed for me

Hi Green

Good luck for Thursday!! I'll have my fingers crossed for you :)

It would be great if you could send me a copy of your letter please.

angeldelight@ntlworld.com

I hope someone can help you with ideas for your interview :)

I got the job! :D The interview was hard and very challenging, but I believe the head and governors did this as there was a candidate so young who needed to prove herself (me!) I am very pleased!

The only thing now is that another candidate works in the F2 clkass and will now be under me. things were quite difficult at school today just hope that this is because it is early days

Thanks for everyone's support it paid off!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Amy, just wondering how things are with the other candidate. Is it less awkward now that a week or so has passed? I hope so :)

Yes Jellyhead they are fine! I knew they would be just worried at the time. Im sure it would have been the same situation for whoever had of got the job! How is it going for you?

• 1 month later...

Oh crickey! I've been without my computer for weeks!! I 'm so sorry I haven't replied sooner. It's been a complete nightmare. I borrowed a friend's old laptop but for some reason I was able to log on to this site but not able to post any messages!! There were some problems with it and it just wouldn't let me do certain things.

Anyway, my computer is now back up and running - thank goodness!

Unfortunatley the FS co-ord job at my school was advertised nationally, I applied but it went to someone else! I'm not too upset though because she is an awful lot more experienced than me. She has worked in FS for years and was already a FS co-ord. Although, of course, if the job had been advertised internally then I'm sure I'd have got it, so I'm a bit dissapointed about that.

Anyway, how are things going for you, Green? I hope you're prepared to take on your new role. It must be exciting for you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JellyHead!

Ive been in the same situation as you hence its taken a while for me to reply to your message!

Im so sorry that you did not get the position, but like you said IM sure that due to the fact that a much more experienced person got the role youll learn a hell of a lot from this person which will set you in good sted for applying for the role later on! I am excited about starting the role- just taking 1 day at a time and I hope that our new foundation team will be very successful!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)