Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evalutaing Your Management Own Skills

I am currently undertaking a level 3 in first line management and need your help :o

We have been asked to find out what kind of leader we are by asking for feedback from our staff teams only I don't know where to start.

Has anyone ever sent out a questionnaire to their staff to evaluate how well you are doing?

we have just done an exercise where we did a'two stars and a wish' system between everyone. you could easily do this for you by giving everyone a piece of paper where they have to say two things you are good at and a wish...something they would like you to do differently. It worked really well for the staff as a peer observation method and only took a few minutes to do(don'tlet them take too long or they will over think it!) if you decide to do this for staff i suggest when you feed back that you do one star first then the wish and then the other star or they tend to focus on the negative

Good idea from finlaysmaid.

I've just done the CMI leadership award and as part of my assignment I asked for feedback about how I could improve my skills in various areas. I asked for feedback about how I could do it better rather than asking for them to criticise my performance. :o

The checklist is based on a quick self-assessment tool based on Burman and Evans' "Leadership Charter" (2008). I haven't looked for the full reference but I'm sure you could find it if necessary. The idea is you grade yourself against each statement, asking yourself if how regularly you do each statement and give yourself a score accordingly: 1 for never, 2 for sometimes, 3 for usually and 4 for always.

It might not be any use to you but if it is let me know and I'll upload the descriptors for the different levels of score!

Good luck - it can be difficult asking for feedback on your performance, I think!

Effective_leadership___staff_feedback_form.doc

Guest mukerjee1

It might not be any use to you but if it is let me know and I'll upload the descriptors for the different levels of score!

Very relevant to me at the moment - would love info on the above. Thank you very much for posting this HappyMaz!

Very relevant to me at the moment - would love info on the above. Thank you very much for posting this HappyMaz!

You're welcome. I've found the reference which I've added to the bottom of the analysis sheet. These materials were handed out as part of my training course, and are not marked in any way to suggest that they are subject to copyright.

Hope they help!

You're welcome. I've found the reference which I've added to the bottom of the analysis sheet. These materials were handed out as part of my training course, and are not marked in any way to suggest that they are subject to copyright.

Hope they help!

Effective_leadership___analysis_of_scores.doc

Thanks for this - how did you find their responses when you did this Maz? I would like to do a qualification in management, do you have any information on the course you did through Bracknell College?

Clare

Thanks for this - how did you find their responses when you did this Maz?

Ah well here's the thing, clare78baby. No-one actually filled it in. I have to be honest and say that I haven't dared ask why! :o

I would like to do a qualification in management, do you have any information on the course you did through Bracknell College?

This was the first part of the Level 5 CMI Leadership and Management course which was offered to EYPs who gained their status thorugh University of Reading. You can find the information from the CMI website here.

We did just the one unit but there are lots of different units and I think it is designed to be modular with different numbers of units being completed to gain the Award, Certificate and Diploma which is the full Level 5.

Finleysmaid, did each staff do 2 stars and a wish on each other or themselves? I have one member of staff with extremely low self esteem, who sees negative in everything, and I am constantly having to reassure her, you can't even ask her to do something without her thinking what she is doing is wrong in the first place and it is a constant battle. I think she would have a huge issue with anyone else writing a wish about her.

Really want to do something to get the staff to evaluate the setting and people and like this simple idea, but just not sure

Ah well here's the thing, clare78baby. No-one actually filled it in. I have to be honest and say that I haven't dared ask why! :o

This was the first part of the Level 5 CMI Leadership and Management course which was offered to EYPs who gained their status thorugh University of Reading. You can find the information from the CMI website here.

We did just the one unit but there are lots of different units and I think it is designed to be modular with different numbers of units being completed to gain the Award, Certificate and Diploma which is the full Level 5.

Thanks Maz, will have a look x

This is of interest to me too. we have just been offered Level 5 Qualif in Leadership through our EYP group.

Ours is with ILM ( Institute if Leadership and Management) - think it's nationwide so might be useful for anyone wanting to do it.

Can't decide whether to take it on or not (time wise/commitment etc)

What did you think Happy Maz? Anyone else done it?

This is of interest to me too. we have just been offered Level 5 Qualif in Leadership through our EYP group.

Ours is with ILM ( Institute if Leadership and Management) - think it's nationwide so might be useful for anyone wanting to do it.

Can't decide whether to take it on or not (time wise/commitment etc)

I'm doing level 3 through my local council and so far only attended one session and I think it will really give me a confidence boost

I really enjoyed the sessions because we were able to share our experiences and work through problems together. The different theoretical perspectives really helped me reflect on my practice and see how I could do better.

clare 78baby yes we did a sort of round robin gave each staff one other member. told them they had five minutes ( they all panicked and tried to overthink it but thats just my team xD )i think the great thing was that because it was a wish it was quite gentle and everyone accepted the comments....though as i said i did change the feedback so that there was a positve then a negative then the best positive at the end ...we did this with everyone together and discussed our thoughts(the stars and wishes were anonymous). One of my staff members was also very negative about herself when she first started with us but managed to cope with this quite well.Feedback could be done individually if you were worried or perhaps do the stars for everyone as an excercise first to get used to hearing good things :o

For practitioners with low self esteem it could be both challenging and empowering to ask them to give themselves two stars and a wish. I'm a critical self-reflector and could find loads of wishes, but might struggle on some days to find two stars! :o

But getting them to concentrate on what they think they are doing well might eventually help them see the positives in their practice and stop dwelling on their perceived shortcomings.

For practitioners with low self esteem it could be both challenging and empowering to ask them to give themselves two stars and a wish. I'm a critical self-reflector and could find loads of wishes, but might struggle on some days to find two stars! :o

But getting them to concentrate on what they think they are doing well might eventually help them see the positives in their practice and stop dwelling on their perceived shortcomings.

Thanks Maz and Finleysmaid....something to think about for our next team meeting

Clare

What an interesting thread xD Maz, would you be so kind as to add those to the resource library please? :o

I think it would be really beneficial for us to commission some articles on leadership and management skills, so if you know of anyone who is an expert in this field, do let me know and I'll contact them to see if they are interested in enlightening us.

I'm not sure whether my tutor would describe herself as an expert, but she does have a wealth of experience and teaches the Foundation Degree so she'd be eminently qualified, I think. Would you like me to email her to see if she's interested?

Instead of Early Years I did my degree in Leadership and Management at Sunderland University. Although the hardest thing I ever studied for was one of the most rewarding in terms of knowledge and confidence. I am now doing PGCE to teach both and will qualify in 2011. Cannot wait.