Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Ratio

Hi everyone I am a nursery teacher and have 13 in the morning rising 4's and repeat the number in the afternoon. I have just been tole that my T.A. has to go out and teacher SEN children 3 mornings and 2 afternoons a week. this will leave me alone. sometimes I hve parent helpers/students but I am worried if I need to go to the loo, accident, siezure one has diabetes type 1. etc. I have been told by the HD that the staff ratio is 1:13. Do I need another quailified t.a. in my room or not? I must admit I am not happy in case god forbid anything happens. would be grateful for any advice.

As far as I am aware the legal ratio for a teacher in Nursery is 1:13 and in Reception 1:30. I've looked into this as I'm in Reception and there was talk of me losing my TA due to an SEN child in Y2. However, this is clearly very unrealistic, especially with a child with specific needs like Diabetes. I agree with you that I'd be very worried in case something happened, let alone trying to deliver the EYFS properly! If your head is not sympathetic could you speak to one of the Governors? Good luck!

Statutory Framework for EYFS p49, Appendix 2A point 5 - " There must be at least 2 adults on duty in a setting at any time when children are present". This is a specific legal requirement. You cannot be on your own. Good luck.

I suspect the head might argue that 'on duty in a setting' means the setting (i.e. school) as a whole rather than the classroom.

Could the parents push for you to have an additional adult, that might make your HT sit up and take notice?

I think you should also do a risk assessment which raises your concerns, and pass a copy of that to the management.

risk assessment is a good idea - don't forget to add things like if a child wets/soils , accidents requiring first aid - assume First aider/medical room is elsewhere in the school who takes child there/ also issues around your personal safety and safegaurding issues which need to be included. We wouldn't be able to do this in Nursery so why does your Head assume that it's ok for you with children of a similar age. Good Luck :o

Statutory Framework for EYFS p49, Appendix 2A point 5 - " There must be at least 2 adults on duty in a setting at any time when children are present". This is a specific legal requirement. You cannot be on your own. Good luck.

In a school there are lots of adults on duty, they don't have to be in the classroom at the same time.

FS classes are considered part of the school and don't count as seperate, probably just as well as we would have to do alot of extra paperwork as all the school policies and risk assessments cover FS and we just do the extra bits that directly affect us and are not covered within the school paperwork.

The ratio in a nursery is 1:13 and Reception is 1:30 and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Unfortunately this is the reality of working in Foundation Stage in Reception or Nursery.

Much may depend on where your nursery is in relationship to another adult. I remember supporting an NQT who was alone ina nursery class with 12 children and the room was a portacabin across the playground. It was a battle, but we did manage to get support eventually. On the other hand if your room adjoins another where there is a teacher and a TA, then you may not win that battle.

I hope you manage to keep your support, and if you can't, have a strategy in place for those moments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)