Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

An Alternative Christmas To The Norm

has anyone ever taken part in any voluntary work over christmas? i have had a quick look for ideas online but don't know where to start, the thing is we feel as a family that instead of just enjoying the usual dinner with extended family etc and far too many presents we would like to give something back to others, we have been talking about it for a few years but want to try to sort something out for this year any thoughts or ideas or past experiences would be great! :o

I know its not for Christmas day but our large city centre shopping centre has a giving tree. You take a star from the tree for an unnamed but described child in care, buy a gift and return it. The girls take a star like themselves eg 'Child 107-13 year old girl' we give them a budget they buy what they think they would like and return it to the staff. Because my children are adopted and were in foster care its personal to our family. I think thats the message it has to be personal to your family.

We volunteered at one of the homeless shelters one year, we had had a very traumatic month or so leading up and needed to just do something a bit off the wall for us. It was probably one of the best Christmases I have ever had (I hate Christmas), unpredictable, fun, caring, full of laughter, sharing, meeting new people, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Why not give your local shelter a call and see if they need any volunteers?

we have a local church which does this too.. provides 3 days of food and shelter etc over the Christmas period and always need extra hands, may be worth looking around locally...

Inge

Edited by Inge