Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Linking Profile Scores To Nc Levels!

We have been told by our LEA that we have to map our profile scores onto the school's progress tracker. We are told to put 6/7 in as 1c and 8 in as a 1b. I do not agree with this one little bit as a point 8 does not equate to a 1b. i know that it is above average, however to achieve this point, children do not need to be able to do the same as for a 1b. The same goes for a 6/7. Our profile results are very much in line with national average so i know that there must be lots of other schools facing the same problem! Now the pressure is really on year one as some of those children will be expected to leave them as a 2c! Is anyone else in the same boat or is this just our LEA?

Luckinly my county is adamant that FSP scores do not link to NC levels, and all advisors tell headteachers that it is not possible. With my headteacher I did a very generic, they are less able so will probably get 1c type thing as he wanted something to put on a graph!!!

Just thinking I'm sure on FSP training we were given a quote from the EYFS document that said FSP should not be linked to NC. Can't find it at the moment but someone else might know where it is

This link may help you

http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/assets/Fa...SP_QA_v6aWO.pdf

also this thread from the summer is well worth a read

here

I remember that a letter went out from Jan Dubiel last year to all LA's about the lack of correlation of EYFS scores and NC scores for the purposes of target setting, or something along those lines but i can't seem to find it.

It states very clearly in the EYFS Profile handbook (p.5 near bottom of page)

"EYFS profile scale poimts and cumulative scale point scores are statutory assessments that exist in their own right. They are not equivalent to any national curriculum levels or sub-levels and no such comparison should be made."

My county has moved away from converting EYFSP scores into NC levels thank goodness. But they never were as bad as what you're being asked to do! Profile scale point 9 would indicate that a child is working at a level 1 but certainly not anything lower!

We have been told by our LEA that we have to map our profile scores onto the school's progress tracker. We are told to put 6/7 in as 1c and 8 in as a 1b. I do not agree with this one little bit as a point 8 does not equate to a 1b. i know that it is above average, however to achieve this point, children do not need to be able to do the same as for a 1b. The same goes for a 6/7. Our profile results are very much in line with national average so i know that there must be lots of other schools facing the same problem! Now the pressure is really on year one as some of those children will be expected to leave them as a 2c! Is anyone else in the same boat or is this just our LEA?

Sounds like Essex Target Tracker - I have been informed that they say they have so much evidence from so many schools that their statistical data can show a prediction!!! Still morally wrong in my book!

Lorna

I was at an FSP moderation meeting this week and we were told in no uncertain terms can the profile points be matched up with NC levels. The EYFS/FSP is used while they are working at that level - when they are working in ks1 then NC levels are used. For most children this will be at about this time in the autumn term. Some will be working at a NC level though at the end of year R others it will take until the summer term in year 1!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)