Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tuff Spot Ideas?

Hi all.

I'm just starting to set up a tuff spot in my nursery classroom. I had to do some research to work out what one is because I've never come across one before!

Anyhoo, our current theme is 'birthdays' with a focus on shapes and colours. Any ideas on how to set up my tuff spot with this in mind?

Thanks in advance :o

Hi all.

I'm just starting to set up a tuff spot in my nursery classroom. I had to do some research to work out what one is because I've never come across one before!

Anyhoo, our current theme is 'birthdays' with a focus on shapes and colours. Any ideas on how to set up my tuff spot with this in mind?

Thanks in advance :o

I love my tuff spot and usually have 2 on the go one outside and one in I have found the book 'the little book of tuff spot activities' by sally featherstone useful for ideas. She suggests on the birthday page making a gloop like mix with 2 cups of corn flour and 4 cups boiling water then cooking it and adding gelatin. The children then use this to make birthday cakes for each other decorating with candles, magnetic letters, buttons (diif colour/shape?), sequins etc and having a go at using piping bags filled with watered down mixture.

She suggests on the birthday page making a gloop like mix with 2 cups of corn flour and 4 cups boiling water then cooking it and adding gelatin. The children then use this to make birthday cakes for each other decorating with candles, magnetic letters, buttons (diif colour/shape?), sequins etc and having a go at using piping bags filled with watered down mixture.

This sounds good (and messy)! The only available space for my tuff spot tray at the moment is in a carpeted area. Have you found that an activity like this would be particularly messy? I'm thinking something like this would need a bit of adult guidance if I want to stay in the caretaker's good books! :o

I did a quick forum search and found an old thread here which gives a lot of ideas!

Maz

Thank you for that link! Some fab ideas on there to keep me busy for a while :o

Thanks for that - I was lacking inspiration for ours at the moment and the old thread has given me lots of new ideas. The other thing we use ours for sometimes is the marble run as it stops the marbles running away! Also good for putting inside small world toys or construction kits outside for a change!

Hi, one of our staff did a brilliant large block of ice with stuff inside it. You just need one of those plastic trays that they keep their book folders in, you then add water and various items (e.g. she did a 'leaves' one and an 'under the sea' one). This goes in the freezer and when it is set you put it in the tuff tray. As it melts the children can interact with it and eventually access the frozen items!

Hilariously she put a maple leaf in it and one of the parents had a right old go at us because he thought it was another type of herbal leaf that can be smoked :oxD:(

Hilariously she put a maple leaf in it and one of the parents had a right old go at us because he thought it was another type of herbal leaf that can be smoked xD:(:(

You should have told her you're keeping those leaves for the bonfire in a planned forest school adventure! :o

we've used ours to make patterned paper,......put a large piece of paper in bottom, have a few pots of paints with diff size marbles in, children drop marbles on then all move tray around together to make patterns, trying not to let the marbles tip over the edge (maybe not great on carpet though)....... could cut up when dry and use as 'birthday wrapping paper'.

• 2 weeks later...
we've used ours to make patterned paper,......put a large piece of paper in bottom, have a few pots of paints with diff size marbles in, children drop marbles on then all move tray around together to make patterns, trying not to let the marbles tip over the edge (maybe not great on carpet though)....... could cut up when dry and use as 'birthday wrapping paper'.

A lovely idea! Thank you :o

Last week we were doing 'Owl Babies' so my tuff spot had coloured feathers, twigs and various sizes of soft toy owls to build nests. In KUW we learnt owls make very untidy nests so its become a bit of a class joke that we won't be owls in our classroom! This week is Gruffalo so I have in mind prickly things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)