Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

P.g.c.e Interview- Hooray/ Arrggh!

Hi all,

Hope someone can give me some help or advice. I've just recieved a letter inviting me to an interview for a place on the early years P.G.C.E. I'm really excited xD but also a bit apprehensive :o , as I really really want a place, I have worked so hard to get this far.

Its a four part interview that consists of 20 minute tests in maths, english and science, a group interview, in which will will watch a video clip of someone teaching then we have to reflect and comment on it in groups and the 2 interviewers will record our interactions and responses. Next we will have to make a 2 minute presentation on which we can expect to answer questions and finally a 10 minute 1-1 interview. The part I am most fretting about is the group interview. From past experiences there are always the more outgoing personalities who like to 'hog the limelight' so to speak and I can find it difficult to find a way to put my thoughts across. :(

Has anyone been through a similar process or any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated :(

Thanks Tracy

Just remember hogging the limelight does not show empathy or the ability to listen to the view points of others!!

You do need to be able to have your say but if someone is hogging you might try to widen the discussion so for example you could say - that's an interesting point xxx, I have some thoughts but I'm also wondering what other people think about that, maybe I can say what I think and then we can hear from some others?

Opening out the discussion shows you can work within a group and take on board others' pov.

I'm also guessing that many people will feel just as anxious as you and may be modifying their normal behaviours so don't be afraid to take a lead in ways that develop the group interaction.

Body language is also key - be involved even if you are not speaking...eye contact, focus on the speaker - they'll be looking for active listening skills and also the ability to defend your own position if necessary - don't be afraid to disagree and hold your position.

(I'm having flash backs to EYFSP moderator accreditation here!!)

Best of luck,

Cx

Just remember hogging the limelight does not show empathy or the ability to listen to the view points of others!!

You do need to be able to have your say but if someone is hogging you might try to widen the discussion so for example you could say - that's an interesting point xxx, I have some thoughts but I'm also wondering what other people think about that, maybe I can say what I think and then we can hear from some others?

Opening out the discussion shows you can work within a group and take on board others' pov.

I'm also guessing that many people will feel just as anxious as you and may be modifying their normal behaviours so don't be afraid to take a lead in ways that develop the group interaction.

Body language is also key - be involved even if you are not speaking...eye contact, focus on the speaker - they'll be looking for active listening skills and also the ability to defend your own position if necessary - don't be afraid to disagree and hold your position.

(I'm having flash backs to EYFSP moderator accreditation here!!)

Best of luck,

Cx

Thanks catma thats really good advice, I will keep that in mind I knew i would get some top tips from here. Thannks for your reply