Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birth to 3 mattters packs!!

Hi Everyone

We have recently received our birth to three matters pack (after a long delay) :o , but have not put it into practice as yet. Has anyone started using it? How was it introduced? I'd be really interested to find out about people's experiences.

I manage a 40 place LEA community day nursery. We currently cater for children from 12 months but are planning to take from 4 months next September (2004). xD

Hi Just joined my name is Irene :o

I work in a private nursery, just been there three week before i was an sen in a p4/5 class, at the moment i am working with babies and i was interested in birth to three matter, where did you get this i work on the o to 5 curriculum which covers babies toddlers and the youg child, but would like to know more

cheers Irene

HI Sue

Received our Birth to Three Matters pack a while ago but haven't had much time to look at it properly. I run a pre-school for 3 - 5 year olds so it doesn't really apply to me. However we are registered for children from 2 years but demand means we are now rarely able to fit younger children in.

I am thinking of using it as a resource for parents on our waiting list - try to build some links before they start and also for existing parents with younger children.

Finding the time to look at the pack in addition to all the regular stuff is going to be a challenge.

Welcome to the site Irene. Look forward to reading more of your messages.

we recieved our pack a while ago and I have found that some of the articles on the CD have been usefull for college assignments but not yet put anything into practise

we recently dropped our age limit from 3 to 2 and I must admit I had forgotten what a vast difference there is when caring for the younger child the pack did help as a bit of a refresher for ideas and points to consider

having also recently registered for NEG we were concerned that the 2 year olds may get left out in the planning so the pack is helping us to consider what ways to encourage the younger children in the group and possibly devising some form of record of achievments

Hi Irene

The Birth to Three Matters Framework is available from the Dfes.

The purpose of the framework is to provide information and guidance for all those who have a responsibility for the care and education of babies and children from birth to three years, e.g. nursery workers, creche workers, childminders, playgroup workers e.t.c. :)

The framework is organised into four 'aspects': 'a strong child', 'a skillful communicator', 'a competent learner' and 'a healthy child'.

The framework pack consists of:

an introductory booklet;

a poster, which identifies the four aspects and components;

component cards, which offer information and support to practitioners;

a video, which shows children and adults in different contexts;

a CD-ROM, which provides additional information, suggested reading, video footage and useful contact addresses.

I recieved my pack about a year ago so I've had plenty of time to have a good look through. I especially liked the cd rom and the activities to print out, lots to get you thinking. Theres also lots of info which can be printed out if need be. Also liked the cards, lots of ideas. It is another lot of paperwork along with everything else that we all have to do, theres a lot to fit in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Just found some interesting reading for those interested in the principles and findings that birth to three matters is based on. It can be found on-line at www.dfes.gov.uk/research and make a search under childcare. There are 2 documents a briefing paper (8 pages) :D and the full report (188 pages) :o . I've only read the briefing -don't think I'll have time to read the full report. xD:(

• 4 months later...

where can i get a birth to three matters pack? i was told about this a college and they said to order 1! well i've looked on the sure start website and i aint gt a clue! can somebody plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhelp me?

many thanks kayleigh xoxoxo

Hi Kayleigh

Go back to www.surestart.gov.uk

click on 'site map' at the side of the page

scroll down to birth to three matters - about halfway down the page.

You'll find loads of information about BTTM pack some of it downladable

altrenatively ring the dfes publications - 0845 6022260 and quote 'BIRTH'

• 2 months later...

Ok, my manager has just found the birth to three pack.(after me asking fo ages why we didn't et one etc..) She has given me no letter of advice with it just the pack containing all the info.

I'd like to know if it's just reccomendation that we use it for our under 3's. Or is it compulsary.

Can anyone help........ Thanks

Guest Clarabo

Hiya!

I'm new to this forum and I hope I'll be able to help you as much as you can hopefully help me!

In response to Sue's question about the birthj to 3 matters packs - apparently some training will be rolliong out soon across the country about how to implement he packs in practice. if I hear anything more I will let you know.

Hi Clarabo

I don't know if anybody else has said hello to you eleswhere but I would just like to say welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm sure you will get a lot from the site.

Linda

Hi Jo

Glad to hear you've finally got your hands on BTTM. What do you think?

In response to your question at present it is guidance and not compulsory, however I have heard along the grapevine that it may become compulsory in the future with regards to funding like the Foundation Stage.

Hope this makes sense. :o

Hi Sue, Thanks for the info. I have only briefly looked at the pack butu it looks very well done. In my setting we take 2 1/2 year olds and at the moment they are all 3 hooray!

I guessif you worked in a nursery unit with babies or toddlers it could be quite useful.

For me though I think it's going to be a headache putting it alongside the foundation stage! There doesnt seem to be any guidancea bout how to link the two together.

What do you think?

That's good then at least there is something in the pipeline! I'm in surrey so hopefully it will filter through soon!

At least for the time being I have no under 3's!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all interesting to hear that BTTM may be more in the future.

I have also been told to use it as a 'guideline' I am doing my planning closely to BBTM so that in the even of it becoming more than 'guidelines' I will be ready. Who knows though!! xD

It is possible to link the BTTM to the FS. I am in the process it isn't easy as I am still trying to get my head round it as it isn't based on the usual areas like physical, language social, etc, I was give a few pointers and a couple of sheets which I have adapted. I hope to put these sheets up to familiarise staff with the links.

When I get a little further into it I will try and post some examples in the planning area, hope this helps.

Dreean/Liz :o

That sounds really useful, Liz! :D

Must admit, I haven't given it as much thought as I would usually, being largely involved with rising 5s, but intend to start!!

Sue :D

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)