Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using A Wii In Class

Whilst at moderation last year a few of the Reception teachers shared their experiences of using the Wii in class, using the interactive whiteboard as a screen. They were all very positive about it and named some of the things they had done. I was wondering though, whether anyone had used one and what they thought. Have discovered that my local computer shop sells re-condiditoned ones for £60 which is a good investment providing it works. Some initial ideas I had were to encourage some of my reluctant singers on the x factor game, my fine motor skill developers on Wii sports. I suspect the opportunities are endless!!! Any thoughts............................

Nicky

Edited by nickynooblue

Hi Nicky

Our care club use one but we've never used one during 'school hours', I have one at home & I can see that there are lots of potential learning opportunities, I'm just afraid to use one because of the reaction of other staff/parents etc.... I also think a lot of the activities that it promotes can be achieve without using the game console.

As you've said though, it may be useful to entice reluctant participants. I think that's the main benefit of using one?

Have you see the DSi advert, pupils using them in class?

Edited by nickylear

I can absolutely appreciate a good 'argument' for using a WII for various areas of development.....

but as a parent of a completely obssessed 10 year old boy who eats, sleeps and breathes computer games (even though he is limited to 1 hour a week!) I have to admit that I would be outraged if this was introduced in his class.

He becomes completely self-absorved when in front of a game (as opposed to other PC activities) to the extent that he has to be MADE to stop to go to the toilet! and the fallout for any extended use is awful!

It's not often that I feel strongly enough to cause conflict - but I'm afraid that I would definitely do so if that was my son's school suggesting this.

This isn't of course directed at you, and I understand that this might work for teachers in different situations - just thought you might like a parent's view! :oxD:(

• 1 month later...

I've used a Wii as part of our Year 1 ICT curriculum - it was great to demonstrate and use in the modelling & simulations unit. What made it interesting on another aspect that children who were very good at sharing and taking turns started to become obsessed with when it was their turn next and just couldn't accept that everyone had to have a first go. :o I would love to use it again this year but after last year and bearing in mind I have a much larger class this year, I think I will leave it at home and use other things instead!

I have to admit that I would be outraged if this was introduced in his class.

As the mother of another teenage-computer-game-obsessive I can appreciate your argument, mps09.

However what if the teacher told you that using the wii was able to engage your son in the learning at a much higher level than with traditional methods?

Its interesting about what you say about how your son reacts differently to wii games to other PC activities, I do worry about what the long term effects of extensive computer game use will be on our children.

Would love to hear from teachers who do use this technology in school to know if children do actually learn more effectively when a wii or an xbox is involved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)