Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyps

Dazed and confused here! Am I right in thinking that by 2015 any early years setting will require the head to have early years professional status? If so, what comprises that? Does someone with a PGCE in early years already have it or is there an additional qualifaction that they need to get? Links to the relevant government website would be useful (Google is just giving me lists of institutions wanting my money!)

Best, and thank you

Dazed and confused here! Am I right in thinking that by 2015 any early years setting will require the head to have early years professional status? If so, what comprises that? Does someone with a PGCE in early years already have it or is there an additional qualifaction that they need to get? Links to the relevant government website would be useful (Google is just giving me lists of institutions wanting my money!)

Best, and thank you

The CWDC website will explain all, see http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/eyps

Sal

(Google is just giving me lists of institutions wanting my money!)

No institution offering training for EYPS should be asking for money, amarrian. If you're interested in EYPS I'd suggest that you speak first to your Local Authority who will put you in touch with the training provider nearest you.

Maz

What happens to all those leaders that do not want to do a foundation degree or EYPS?? Are they suddenly made redundant in 2015? Or does a setting have to employ another staff member with these qualifications but not have them be manager?

What happens to all those leaders that do not want to do a foundation degree or EYPS?? Are they suddenly made redundant in 2015? Or does a setting have to employ another staff member with these qualifications but not have them be manager?

It is not intended that the EYP will be the manager of the setting, necessarily. Our Local Authority has identified other training options for managers who do not want to become an EYP which has led to them gaining a Level 5 Leadership qualification.

Whilst I wholeheartedly approve of the EYPS programme, I recognise the challenges involved in having a Manager who may be qualified at Level 3 managing an EYP who is a graduate or indeed having the problem of not being able to identify anyone in a setting who can or wants to progress to gain the Status.

Maz

Whilst I too applaud the EYPS programme and in theory the idea of every setting having one is good I constantly wonder who is going to pay these people? Certainly not our setting, can barley afford me & my staff let alone employ an extra, who I cant see working for the same salary as the other staff and quite frankly why should they?

To be honest I cant see this happening by 2015, too many things in the way, not least of all employment laws- you cant just get rid of someone just so you can employ someone else.

I wonder whether there maybe 'floating EYPs'. In a similar way to how we have Early Years Advisiors, Area Sencos etc.

I think the main stumbling block will be the inability of many settings to pay the wages for an EYP but maybe settings could kind of club together or am I talking rubbish lol!!!!

Having said all that there are so many 'cuts' in the pipeline in my area I don't know what will happen, our area senco doesn't even know if she will have a job next year such are the cutbacks.

I can safely say that none our staff at pre-school are at all intrested in gaining higher than level 3. Took us a lot of persuasion to get some unqualified staff to do lev 3 just started. We do have a qualified french teacher as deputy??!!!! I have HND in Biology!!??

Funding to do the foundation degree seems uncrtain here too. They are saying that to ensure there is enough money in the pot to pay those already started on it they are uncertain of funding those who just want to start it.

I just cant see how they are going to make it work.

As for school club you havent got a prayer of getting soeone that qualified! Unless maybe it is their own business? Struggld to get level 3!

I wonder whether there maybe 'floating EYPs'. In a similar way to how we have Early Years Advisiors, Area Sencos etc.

I think this idea has legs - although I wonder how we would be perceived in some groups and for those EYPs still in settings, their deployment would need to be carefully considered. I can imagine how a leader of a setting would feel about the EYP from a rival group turning up to help improve their practice! :o

We all need to hold our breath and see what happens I guess - maybe we'll know more as the weeks progress. I really feel for those of you who are waiting for the results of the Comprehensive Spending Review to filter down and for funding decisions to be made. It is a time of real uncertainty and insecurity for everyone.

Maz