Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Secure Outside Area Does It Have To Be Staffed?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum as am new to reception this year and have already gleaned some fab advice from you all from lurking! I cannot find a forum post which has addressed this but I'm sure it has been discussed at some point so I will ask the question myself. I have a fantastic classroom space (2 large classrooms put together) and outside area which is safe and secure and cannot be reached by the general public or be escaped from. I operate the class as freeflow for most of the day (btw getting nippy now with the door wide open!) and 8 children are allowed out at any one time. I have a full time TA with me and up until now the children have freeflowed inside or outside but | don't necessarily have someone supervising the children outside unless I plan a supervised activity outside or am observing a child. I have been told today by my new head that I have to have an adult supervising outside at all times because they cannot always be seen by us from the classroom. I am worried that having to have someone outside will really limit us as there are times of the day that my TA teaches a letters and sounds group in KS1 or as she is 1st aider is taken away to deal with an injury and if I go outside then the children indoors are unsupervised and so I will have to close the outside area. Before the new head and with the previous teacher there was no expectation for an adult to be outside. What are your thoughts?

Sorry I dont know your answer although it does sound as if you will need to do what your HT requires although I agree it can be very limiting and you may now want to allow more than 8 children to access the outdoor area. You amy also need to reconsider your timetabling of the space?

However, if your TA goes to teach a group elsewhere she is not really a full time TA is she and this may also be for negotiaition with your HT?

Good luck.

Hello and welcome to the forum :o

I would have thought you would need someone outside to supervise the children as you would indoors. I'm sure your outdoor area is safe and secure but one of them could have an accident or be taken ill while playing. Perhaps free flow outdoor play should only be available when you have your TA to supervise them.

I do not work in reception but am I the only one who is almost 'horrified' at the thought of up to 8 children (some of whom I guess are only 4) being alone outside and possibly out of sight at times too.

I know that accidents happen and am all for children having challenges and taking risks but sometimes nasty accidents can be avoided when adults intervene appropriately. As a mum I wouldn't be happy but then maybe it is sour grapes on my part as one of my sons still bears the huge scar down the back of his head from when he was injured in a playground (unsupervised) accident - I was furious with the school!

Ooops, forgot to say hi and welcome to the forum, please don't think I am having a go at you personally as that is not my intention :o

I think your children outside need to have support from an adult for their play. I would be very concerned to think that they are outside without an adult interacting with with them and aslo the health and safety reasons, so this needs to be planned into your timetable.

Sorry got to agree I think the children should have adult supervision too. Always think of the worst case that could happen, we never allow our children to be unsupervised indoor or out

Doesn't it come into risk assessments?

The children in Year R are aged 4 :o to not be able to see children from ther classroom alarms me. Not personal but just worried for you

Sue

Thanks all, good to have your thoughts I guess my problem is that we have too much space to supervise, as not only do we have the 2 classrooms (we did have 2 class intake at one stage) and the outside area which runs along side but in the corridoor outside the classroom we have a large role play area which has an upstairs and downstairs which at the moment ideally needs TA support. Even with a TA outside and me inside or vice versa there would still be a large area of the classroom left unsupervised. There are 2 double doors opening alonside the outside area (which is a tiny area running alongside the classroom and has the spongy tarmac stuff) and I can see outside from where I usually work with groups but admitedly there are blind spots. I guess I'm going to have to limit their choices and where they go a little which is a shame. We do have of course risk assessments in place for the outside area and talk through certain aspects of this with the children and have had no incidents or injuries so far and yes we are out there as much as we can (tis my favourite place to be!) but If I for example put my TA in my role play area to model play in there and I'm working with a group on the IWB then children will be out there unsupervised-well not anymore because i'll have to keep them in-can I have another TA please?!!

Guest MaryEMac

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that I have to agree with others and say that outside areas should be staffed. I work in a playgroup attached to a school and our window looks out on to the courtyard where reception play unsupervised. I have lost count of the times that me or my staff have had to pop out to prevent an accident or to knock on the classroom door to let the teacher know that someone was upset and crying. They also have an outdoor space at the other side of their classroom which again is unsupervised and last week one of the children decided to throw most of their wooden blocks over the fence into our yard. Luckily it happened when we weren't using it and no parents with younger children were waiting to collect their child.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)