Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Shaving Foam

Can anyone tell me if you can use any shaving foam with children i.e. the cheapest as I want to introduce it in mark making. Also can you add food colouring to it etc Thanks

We have experimented with different types of shaving foam from expensive hypoallergenic types to Asda cheapy brand shaving foam. I can't say I've noticed any real differences, except maybe the quality of the foam is not quite so luxurious with the ultra cheap brands. That said, because it is so cheap you can usually just add some more and you're away!

I've never added food colouring, but I'd just give it a go and see what happens!

Maz

Squish bags- Buy cheap shaving foam and squirt into plastic zip bags. Have a selection of colourings such as food colours in bottles with droppers, paint and spoons and glitter and add to bags. Zip up and squish! More colours can be added at any time in the process and the bags can easily be washed to start again. Great November 5th activity. lulu j

• Like 1

Fab idea luluj - but can I ask a particularly dense question? Are the squish bags designed to be used for non-messy explorative play or do you tip out the contents?

Maz

We use tesco value 34p, squirt it all over the table or into the tuff spot. have cups of different colours of paint -the children use spoons (or mostly fingers !!) to add different colours. we use combs, lolly sticks, scribing tools -anything to make marks in the foam. we have also then placed large pieces of sugar paper on top of their marks and taken prints from it.

they love it !

Thanks for that question Happymaz. Not at all a dense one! I have used this as a non-messy play activity to investigtae colour as well as the 'squishy feelgood factor' but have also used shaving foam and the things I mentioned in a Tuff spot with spoons,whisks etc.

Just thought that if a hole punch was used on the plastic zip bags shaving foam colour ribbons could be made? Will try next week. Thanks for helping to generate that idea. lulj

Just thought that if a hole punch was used on the plastic zip bags shaving foam colour ribbons could be made? Will try next week. Thanks for helping to generate that idea. lulj

Just snip the corner and use it like an icing bag - love it!

just a word of warning on the shaving foam front- while most children will tolerate the cheaper brands some children may have a reaction. A colleague was in the Dr's surgery a while a go and there was a child who was there who had blistered- a reactioin to the foam that was used in his nursery.

Best to let parents know what you will be using or check their details in their records for anyone more prone to allergies

That said some lovely ideas above:-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)