Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ourselves Planning Ideas

Guest laura286

Guest laura286

Hi all,

We are doing the topic ourselves, and the children have asked to learn about when they were babies, how they grew up and their families.

I have asked parents to bring in a photo of them when they were a baby, and have a mother and baby coming in to talk to us at the end of the week, but have run out of ideas!!

Desperately need some literacy based ideas, have already covered discussing things they can do now they are 4 and writing a short I can sentence for it, but cannot think of anything related to babies, growing up or families??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and would stop me from planning ALL weekend!

Thanks,

Laura

Hi

When we did this topic at nursery we did a small display for each child of photo's from when they were babies aged 1 aged 2 aged 3 abd a recent photo, the children really enjoyed looking at photo's of each other

could you get them to make their own basic family tree encoraging them to write the names?

you could have a name the baby competition with staff baby photo's to encourage parent/career participation

I will keep thinking

Rapunzel

Hi

What about making a class book for your book area. You could talk about families at circle time and how every family is different, mums, dads, brothers, sisters and extended family. You could then use this information for the basis of your book either use pen and paper or ict.

You could use the baby photographs coupled with a recent photograph to form the basis of an interactive display at child level. Guess who! - lift the flap to reveal the answer.

What about a baby clinic role play area scales growth charts etc.

If I think of anything else i'll add later. T

Hi

We are doing this topic also.Can you take it the other way and get them to think about what they would like to be when they are older? Then they are effectively making their own timeline. We did this on friday and they had wonderful ideas bless them. Then they can write "I will be a.........."

I will keep thinking.

Amanda

I have done a matching photograph activity before. Have photos of the class now and the ones as babies and get the children to match up the photos - we even put some staff pictures in too.

How about an 'All About Me' book - when I was a baby I could.... now I can.... I am .... years old , I like.... etc

You could also link to the body - Funnybones story, draw around one of the children and label the body parts, sing head, shoulder knees and toes etc.

Hope this helps

We also, for PSHE, thought about our favourite toys when we were growing up, something we take with us wherever we go. We drew it and labelled it. Then we thought about how we feel when we lose something. We used a doll and his toy elephant as props. Hid the elephant and asked the kids to look for it as well as make posters for a missing elephant which we stuck around the school. They loved this. We also asked members of staff to pop in and offer support after seeing the posters - further helping the kids to understand that their writing had a purpose.

We did sewing of initial letter of name. Did cover page for topic 'Knock knock who's there? Someone whose name begins witht the letter......... INSERT SEWING. Then next page they wrote their name.

lots of opportunities for learning about the passing of time & using time words/connectives in writing, both with 'when I was a baby...' and 'when I am older' as well as 'in the morning the baby...in the afternoon the baby.. after lunch the baby..before bed the baby.' etc

what about things like rhymes babies like (eg this little piggy...) ? lots of opps. there

think of things babies like or find out about things babies like, make a book about it

Peepo

make rattles

'measure' dolls, cut fabric to size to cover and decorate with fabric pens (baby blankets)

find out what babies like to eat (and there's a great e-book PDF available called 'what babies eat' here http://www.breastfeeding-art.com/whatbabieseat_s.pdf if you want to introduce breastfeeding to young children... so many dolls automatically come with a bottle and many children have never seen a baby eating what is after all the most suitable food for babies, it's healthy eating at its very easiest).

count and order numbered nappies on a line?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)