Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E215 - Eyclo And Rlo's? Any Help Much Appreciated

I've just started the OU E215 - am going ok with the activities, but th EYCLO and RLO's keep muddling me up. I came into the E215 course with credits for previous study - but am finding it difficult to get my head around. We've been asked to include an Audit Grid for Assignment 2. As I'm confused by the EYCLO's and RLO's am totally dumbfounded by the Audit grid.

Can anyone tell me how to fill out the EYCLO's? Maybe I'm making it too complicated???? :o xxx

I've just started the OU E215 - am going ok with the activities, but th EYCLO and RLO's keep muddling me up. I came into the E215 course with credits for previous study - but am finding it difficult to get my head around. We've been asked to include an Audit Grid for Assignment 2. As I'm confused by the EYCLO's and RLO's am totally dumbfounded by the Audit grid.

Can anyone tell me how to fill out the EYCLO's? Maybe I'm making it too complicated???? :o xxx

Hi Ange - I'll PM you - don't panic!

Hi Cait

very cheeky I know but when I read this post I though GREAT its NOT just ME!!! would you be so kind to PM me :( because if you can make someone get it so easily I would love some help :o I am sitting looking at this forum when I know I should be revising for K204 exam tomorrow!!!!! worrying about the E215 and the EYCLO's etc.

They look so complecated !! so I keep shoving them back in the box>

Pleaswe help an old person who doesn't want to do an exam at my age last one was 32 years ago xD

Sue

Hi

There is an example of a completed EYCLO in the Assignment Guide, Appendix B (EYCLO 2), this also shows how you can use evidence that has already been verified. If you did not do E115 you just leave out the (E115v) in brackets. Page 83 also shows an example page one of EYCLO 7.

Appendix D. page 89 of the Assignment Guide, shows an example of a completed RLO recording form for RLO B3, Support the PSED of foundation stage children.

Appendix H of the Assignment guide is a very useful chart showing procedure for documenting evidence.

Has anyone found an example of a completed Audit Form, or can anyone suggest the sort of statements you might make in the Need to Identify New Evidence column?

Has anyone found an example of a completed Audit Form, or can anyone suggest the sort of statements you might make in the Need to Identify New Evidence column?

I did E215 four years ago and have just looked at my EYCLO Audit Form. As far as I am aware the format of the Audit form has not changed, the column titles are:

1.EYCLOs,

2.Evidence meets the criteria,

3. Need to update evidence,

4. Need to identify new evidence

5. Sources of new evidence identified. Limitations/restrictions to overcome in order to gather evidence.

I did not make any statements at all in the 'Need to identify new evidence' column I just put the the 'letter' of the EYCLO element that required new evidence eg: for EYCLO 7.1 I just had 'C' in the need to identify column.

My statements are in the final column and state the source of the new evidence.

However, I think it worth remembering that at such an early stage in the course there is potentially lots of new evidence that may result from your study and perhaps directly from carrying out course activities in your setting.

For some of mine I had statements such as 'No restrictions but source of new evidence not yet identified'

"I anticipate evidence emanating from continued study of E215"

In general terms I believe the audit grid is as the name implies an 'audit' of where you are at with your evidence and what you still need to obtain. I think the important aspect is to recognise the evidence you need to improve and/or need to obtain if you have none. Some of my statements were quite precise eg " My appraisal due September 2006",

It is quite tricky because the reality is though you may plan activities and hope evidence results you also have no idea what 'evidence' may suddenly 'appear' in your setting today, tomorrow or next week!

Providing you look at your PEF carefully and acknowledge any weak evidence and that you intend to update it I don't think you can go far wrong with the form. I had some evidence which met all the criteria of recent, valid, consistent, reliable etc and therefore I only completed the first column on the audit grid. However, as the course progressed 'other stuff' came about which proved to be 'better' evidence and I updated it even though my audit form had not identified it needed updating.

Hope this makes some sort of sense - if not shout!

Edited by Geraldine

Brilliant reply, Geraldine, as always!

Good luck to all of you studying E215 - I have just completed it and found it quite hard going as it is basically quite out of date now. I understand this is the last presentation.

Sue

I understand this is the last presentation.

Sue

Yes it is and the writing of the replacement course is well under way. I am just looking at a couple of sections of the new material and it's looking good :o It is going to be bang up to date and I almost envy those who will get to study it next year

Hello wonderful people - thanks for the support and guidance along the way! By Joe, I think I might actually 'have it'...

or maybe not!

A question about evidence gathering ... thanks Geraldine, very well put and along the lines of what I'm finding when I started completing the EYCLO's at the weekend. Can I ask - if for example EYCLO 12 'Manage groups of children' : I am a Nursery teacher at a school (full time volunteer as my children go to the school) - I manage groups of childen all the time during Letters & Sounds activities, music, library - can I put these down and where it says 'Date' do I put weekly? Or are we talking specifics here? Friday 15th October I introduced Letters & Sounds Phase 1 Aspect 5 'Silly Soup'? That would mean I'm reflecting on the planning that has already happened.

Errrrm - you see, just when I thought I had it - realised I didn't! Just want to get it right :o

xxx

Edited by Guest

Brilliant reply, Geraldine, as always!

Good luck to all of you studying E215 - I have just completed it and found it quite hard going as it is basically quite out of date now. I understand this is the last presentation.

Sue

Fantastic just started it :o The K204 was outdated and is being replaced. Every course I have ever selected has been updated/changed the year after I completed Think its telling me something!!!!!

Sue

Sorry this is a short reply things have suddenly gone pear-shaped here :o

I am sure you are doing just fine, the things you mention sound OK to me and nothing wrong with reflecting on planning after it has happened - it could result in you adding/changing something for next time.

I think you need to look at the 3 elements of EYCLO 12 as it is split into planning, managing group activities/experiences and assessing children's learning.

The other thing to remember is that for each item of evidence you list you need to have 'hard evidence' filed in your PEF. So for introducing aspect 5 of letters and sounds what would you use in your PEF. For example just putting in a copy of aspect 5 would not really be great evidence as it does not show 'proof' of you implementing it if you see what I mean - an evaluation of the activity would be 'stronger' evidence

Hope this helps, oh and as for the date you really don't need to put a day - just month and year is fine.

Overall, across each EYCLO I aimed for a variety in 'types' of evidence as well as obviously covering different aspects of my practice so whilst plans, reflective journal accounts, observations, records of conversations etc etc are all fine I just tried not to use lots of the same within one EYCLO

hope this makes sense but feel free to shout!

If I were to include the Letters & Sounds Aspect 5 for example - is it just a write up on how the children responded, a reflection on the lesson stored in the PEF file - no photographs? And filed with the EYCLO...??

Thanks again you guys have been so helpful!!

If I were to include the Letters & Sounds Aspect 5 for example - is it just a write up on how the children responded, a reflection on the lesson stored in the PEF file - no photographs? And filed with the EYCLO...??

Thanks again you guys have been so helpful!!

Yes a written reflection sounds fine to me. As for photographs I don't want to comment, I did use photographic evidence in my PEF but I have a feeling at some point there was a 'no photographs' rule applied by the OU so I suggest you check this out to be sure.

As for filing in your PEF it is essential (and I can't emphasise this enough) that your PEF is 'sorted' according the detailed guidelines in the course material. Off the top of my head there has to be some sort of 'introductory page' about you/your role/your setting and then it explains how items shoudl be filed. At any point in the course the OU can ask for your PEF to be submitted (or when course has ended) it isn't 'marked' as such but it is kind of audited to ensure in meets quality assurance and if it is not set out in the format required you will have to amend it and re-submit.

I set up my PEF exactly as detailed in the course material, literally followed the guidance to the letter, I was one of the ones chosen to submit it and I got a lovely letter back saying it met all requirements, other students simply chose not to read/or ignore the guidance and they got letters saying they needed to amend and re-submit. Not trying to frighten you at all but just trying to illustrate the importance of getting it right from the outset. The other thing to remember is that your PEF can ONLY contain confirmed evidence ie: evidence listed on the EYCLO's which have been signed by your confirmer - until that point all evidence is potential and should be stored elsewhere (I used my WBLF)

Hope this helps

Geraldine! am on the case - have set the PEF up according to the assessment guidelines - but hadn't realised Confirmer has to sign everything - can I show him the typed reflection, evidence and he signs on the work? Or do I need a confirmer form for all evidence gathered - erm, surely not?

Fab, fab, fab advice on here - saved it as my homepage! Thanks a million, zillion, stress saved nights xxx

Geraldine! am on the case - have set the PEF up according to the assessment guidelines - but hadn't realised Confirmer has to sign everything - can I show him the typed reflection, evidence and he signs on the work? Or do I need a confirmer form for all evidence gathered - erm, surely not?

Fab, fab, fab advice on here - saved it as my homepage! Thanks a million, zillion, stress saved nights xxx

The confirmer doesn't sign the actual evidence filed in your PEF they sign the back of each EYCLO form.

When you arrange time with your confirmer you should take your PEF, the confirmer reads the EYCLO to 'check' that the items listed are based on your own practice but they should also check that the items listed 'actually exist' ie: they are filed in your PEF. After your first signing session you will get used to it all and it really doesn't take that long. The EYCLOs need signing before you submit them with a TMA so you need to plan time with your confirmer bearing in mind the cut off dates for each submission.

I have just re-read my last message and sorry if the sentance "The other thing to remember is that your PEF can ONLY contain confirmed evidence ie: evidence listed on the EYCLO's which have been signed by your confirmer " was rather ambiguous, I meant the EYCLOs need to be signed not the actual evidence - sorry for any confusion!

The confirmer doesn't sign the actual evidence filed in your PEF they sign the back of each EYCLO form.

When you arrange time with your confirmer you should take your PEF, the confirmer reads the EYCLO to 'check' that the items listed are based on your own practice but they should also check that the items listed 'actually exist' ie: they are filed in your PEF. After your first signing session you will get used to it all and it really doesn't take that long. The EYCLOs need signing before you submit them with a TMA so you need to plan time with your confirmer bearing in mind the cut off dates for each submission.

I have just re-read my last message and sorry if the sentance "The other thing to remember is that your PEF can ONLY contain confirmed evidence ie: evidence listed on the EYCLO's which have been signed by your confirmer " was rather ambiguous, I meant the EYCLOs need to be signed not the actual evidence - sorry for any confusion!

I have been reading your posts and thnk you I have set about sorting these file today and your advise RE at per documentation thought I was being a bit anual following that but clearly its a must

Still not so sure I am going to enjoy this one but hey its only the begining

Sue

Thanks again - now I'm doing the EYCLO Audit Grid... how do you fill it out? Just ticks and crosses?

"Evidence meets the criteria" is that a tick or cross depending how your EYCLO looks

:Need to update evidence" and "Need to identify new evidence" - ticks and crosses again

"Sources of new evidence identified" - a little write up in there?

As it's first Audit Grid have a few blanks!! Especially EYCLO 1 -

1.1 Evaluate and update your own knowledge and practice : this is happening as I do the activities - is it ok to say that

Thanks again x

Thanks again - now I'm doing the EYCLO Audit Grid... how do you fill it out? Just ticks and crosses?

"Evidence meets the criteria" is that a tick or cross depending how your EYCLO looks

:Need to update evidence" and "Need to identify new evidence" - ticks and crosses again

"Sources of new evidence identified" - a little write up in there?

As it's first Audit Grid have a few blanks!! Especially EYCLO 1 -

1.1 Evaluate and update your own knowledge and practice : this is happening as I do the activities - is it ok to say that

Thanks again x

I personally would not use ticks and crosses. I put the letter of the EYCLO element eg for 1.1 I put 'B C' in evidence meets the criteria and 'A' in need to identify new evidence. In the end column I put EYDCP course on transition May 2006 (on the basis that at that time I thought the forthcoming course might generate some form of new evidence)

So really for the first three columns I had the letters of EYCLO elements. I did have several blank boxes mainly in the 'need to update' because that to me meant more of the same eg plans to be replaced with more recent plans and I was trying to get 'better' evidence which including trying to extend the 'range of types' of evidence that I had used.

I think I have already said that the reality is there will be evidence that comes to light during the course that you cannot possibly forsee at the moment and it stands to reason that you can't therefore accurately detail all the sources of new evidence on the audit grid. What you can do is put in what you know for sure and 'estimate' opportunities for sources of new evidence. You should also consider any 'restrictions' you may face in gathering evidence and acknowledge these in the final column on the audit grid. I also put some generalised comments in the final column eg for 8.4 I identified that item K needed updating but added 'No restrictions but source not yet identified'.

It's all about acknowledgin where you are at with your evidence, recognising gaps and thinking about how you will address them. JUst to throw something else into the mix, you may find that right now your evidence meets the criteria but during the course suddenly find something 'better' comes along. On my audit grid for 6.2 I had D,E,and F meeting the criteria but also put in the end column "Anticipate evidence generated from E215 primarily blocks 1 and 2."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)