Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Children Can One Member Of Staff Take Out On Public Transport

I feel that there ought to be 2 members of staff but our Head thinks otherwise.

Does anyone know what the legal stance on this is?

Thank you.

I don't know if there any formal guidelines but isn't this what risk assessments are for? If you complete a risk assessment showing high levels of hazards and risks because there will be only one member of staff you can give clear indications of why you need two members of staff. It would take a brave person to overlook this and insist that you take them alone.

We childminders take out three pre-school children and three or four school aged children by ourselves. Suppose it depends on the staff member, their qualifications and confidence, the individual children, how many in buggies, what sort of transport and the busyness of the environment. Sure there will be other factors in your risk assessment.

I would not like to be getting on and off a bus with a double buggy and a walker but would happily take them on the Metro. And if I were in London I wouldn't think of going on the Underground with a buggy. I would take a baby in a back pack and a walker though.

Honey

I don't know if there any formal guidelines but isn't this what risk assessments are for? If you complete a risk assessment showing high levels of hazards and risks because there will be only one member of staff you can give clear indications of why you need two members of staff. It would take a brave person to overlook this and insist that you take them alone.

Your LA will have some guidelines but it is all down to your risk assessment. When I was working for an LA I went on a risk assessment course which was aimed at everyone not just education, and I would recomeend it to anyone. Ask your LA.

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)