Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Share Manager

Hi all

Well most of you know we are not having much luck recruiting. Did interview one young girl for playworker who was lovely but did not want manager job. Temp manager wants to go back down to deputy so one committee member suggested job share.

Anyone heard of this?

I suppose one would be responsible to OFSTED

How would it work if they worked same shifts?

Any ideas/recommendations?

Clutching at straws!!??

Oh Marley i really do think you are a saint. Just out of interest what part of the world are you from if your allowed to say.

In answer to your question i don't see any reason why you shouldn't beable to as long at some point the two persons did overlap so as they could touch base, but i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon to advise.

I do hope you are able to resolve these issues quickly.

Think if i live near i'd come and help you myself ha ha :oxD .

YES I have shared and it was pure joy! I was the 'named' person but I shared with my deputy and only worked 3 days of the week.

Sadly she left and I was devastated, now work 5 days of week and do everything myself (including committee roles)!!!!

I would love a job share buddy, where are you?

Debbie

Thanks bridger! Based in Nottingham!

Both mnagers would be working the same evening shifts of 3 - 6 pm...if they were both paid deputy level then may be alright cost wise its just another idea to put to rest of committee tomorrow!

Our setting did this a couple of years ago (Pre-School) for us it didn't work.

We had over 10 staff and some did play one manager off against the other, it worked well for the managers as they shared the load but staffing wise it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

When one of the managers left to have a baby the committee decided to go back to just 1 Manager.

we had it working well, but we did give them some time paid to do a consolidation/review each week and we ensured staff knew they were working together, and they both set/expected the same standards.

as to when working together, we had them take it in turns as to who was the 'lead' for that day.. they took it in turns, pay was per session as to who was lead on the day..

Inge

I think it could work really well, sharing responsiblity, someone to bounce ideas off of. As with anything, so much would depend on the individuals concerned such as how well their strengths and weaknesses complimented each other and their ability to cope with conflict.

Good luck Marley

Inge was only one registered with OFSTED as manager or both?

we had one as the primary manager... with Ofsted other was named as deputy, but they did equal job and shared the responsibility... at the time Ofsted could not cope with a job share , they said that there was not a facility for it!

May have changed now.. would put the question to them, I used email for many questions as I had a written reply I could file!

Inge

I did job share for 3/4 years until she decided she didn't want to and around 3 years ago became a deputy. It worked very well as we both knew what our roles were and what days we 'managed' or deputized on. Not a problem with OFSTED they had us both down as Managers. Their problem came when she steppe down, they couldn't seem to get that- fully expecting them to come in and ask for her at our next inspection!

I'm a job share manager. After having a baby I couldn't go back 5 days so the lady who covered my mat leave does 3 days I do 2. So far it's working well. I think the really important thing is communication, We have a message book and it's a god send!! I wish we could afford for us to work together 1 day a week or to be paid to meet up once a week to discuss things - but funds don't allow so we cope by catching up when dropping off our own kids ect!!

When I returned to work, if I'm honest I found not being in complete control quite hard but no I like sharing responsibility and good to have someone to bounce ideas off and back you up!

Good luck x