Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Starting Out

Hi everyone,

I used to be a nursery manager for a chain and my nursery was London based. Since having my second child going back to work was not an option. Now that he is over a year I have decided that although we live in a flat I am going to start childminding.

Yesterday I got my code and went to book onto a briefing session which are booked up for the next month. I have been told by a few people that it can take up to six months to get it all sorted and be able to take children in :( . I was really looking forward to getting started.

I was told that there will be a course I have to do before I can even let ofsted know and then they take ages to come visit too (ok so that bit didnt surprise me xD:o ).

Adele x

Hi

I think every area does it differently but when I registered in 2009 you could start the ball rolling with Ofsted before you had completed the course. I had my pre-registration visit while on the course. I to am a ex nursery manager and found the course frustrating as I already knew what they were trying to teach risk ass, planning and obs but it is a mandatory course. The longest wait for me was getting my health check back from my GP which I had to chase up. From starting my course to being registered was 4 months. (there was a wait to get on the course first ) Is your first aid up to date as you have to have that to before you start. I love my job and I don't miss the stress of my old management role at all.

Good luck

Tink69

Edited by Tink69

Apparently in our area you have to do the course first before you can contact ofsted. I thought it would be quickier than this getting it all sorted but its not fast at all :o

I will need to do my first aid too but I was hoping I could use the Grant (if I am eligable) to pay for the course. I also need to redo my CRB as I think that ran out a couple of years ago. Im so excited to get it underway!

Adele

Ofsted will do your CRB for you along with any other over 16s living in your house. You will be minding before you know it :o You will be so busy getting everything in place!

Tink69

Edited by Tink69

did you design your own planning or your local authorities? I would normally do my own (love designing things like that) but being in a small setting im not sure how to go about it. i'm sure the briefing will make it clearer. x

did you design your own planning or your local authorities? I would normally do my own (love designing things like that) but being in a small setting im not sure how to go about it

You can design your own planning most people do.

6 months sounds about right. But no reason not to start publisiing your service sooner - that way you should have families lined up as soon as you start.

Best of luck

some one told me that it is possible to be a childminder before the registration is complete as long as you are not taking money from their tax credits, is this true?

some one told me that it is possible to be a childminder before the registration is complete as long as you are not taking money from their tax credits, is this true?

I don't think so. What you could do though if you found a largeish family would be to Nanny in the family's own home until your registration came through. You could insure yourself, or ask the family to take out the insurance. The NCMA have forms which are suitable for risk assessing another home. I know this might not fit in with your family, but it would have the advantage of giving you access to a job agency (Angels, Gems whatever). The family need not know you are waiting to set up your own business, and when you do they might love you so much that they want the children to come to yours.

When I became a childminder four years ago, the Local Authority gave me a grant which paid my first year's insurance, Ofsted registration and money for safety, training, forms and toys etc. Think it was £400. It had to be paid back if I don't continue childminding for a year though. This funding may be a bit tight at the moment given the economic climate.

Do you have a Childminder Coordinator in you area? This is the sort of information they should be giving you.

It's taken me all this time to get my business where I want it financially, although the intrusion on the family is quite demanding.

Just another thing I have learned, Its all very well being up front about your charges and conditions, but priorities change so best not to tie yourself down. I discovered I only wanted to work term-time, which suited the parents I had at the start, but my 'pricing policy' had bits in about half fees for holidays - well didn't count on parents taking children out in term time. Using the standard contracts works best for me.

Oh yes, and another thing. Your children don't have to be friends with the minded children (although it's nice if they are). It's their home. Their rooms should be sacrosanct and they should be able to escape there if it gets too busy. Maybe not when they're one, but when they are older.

Stick with it and good luck. If you're serious about childminding you'll probably earn more than you did as a Nursery Manager. It's good for pocket money though if you just want to dabble while your children are babies.

Honey.

Sorry not to my knowledge .you cant start before you are registered -thats why people wait so long to get started .

its against the law to care for children for reward for more than 2 hours per day in your own home if you are nt registered

I think You can Nanny in the childs home as "honey pancakes " says

you need all the relevant CRB checks done and your Ofsted visit as well as the course s and in our area your First Aid course .i think you may find it hard to get public liability to work in your own home if you are nt registered.

try Ofsted s website for further information or directgov

sorry forgot to add try the national childminding associations website for lots of information about childminding

www.ncma.org.uk

Thank you ladies I had a look on line today and you definately cant. I think rather than nanny I am going to make the most of having alone time with my children till then and this will give me time to work out policies and planning etc. x

Thank you ladies I had a look on line today and you definately cant. I think rather than nanny I am going to make the most of having alone time with my children till then and this will give me time to work out policies and planning etc. x

Brilliant Idea. You'll never get that time back.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)