Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registering As A Food Business!

CarlyWarly

Hi

I am registered as a food business. My local environmental health sent me a questionnaire about what sort of food I would be providing and they sent me the "Safer foods" pack for childminders. Thats it no visit and that was over a year ago !

Tink69

Edited by Tink69

I am , and you need to be, otherwise Ofsted may pick it up in an inspection as it is part of the Food and Drink requirements. I believe taht a very small number of childminders are randomly sampled for a support visit. It is not meant to be scray, just giving youpointers to help you follow best practice. They do realise it is yourhome, and that families and childminded children often eat together so you would't separate food. You just fill ina simple form and that is about it. You may be able to do the Food Hygiene course through Early Years where you are.

Hi, I am registered as a food business, as a childminder I cook food from scratch.

I have had 2 visits from the inspecter- very friendly, just checking about storage- re heating food etc.. also about hand washing - takes no more than 30mins -

He did say that if I did not cook hot food- the annual visits would be less.

Hi everyone,

It is mandatory that you must register as a food business, I had questionaire, no visit though. It seems a bit much visiting two times in one year especially as they are unannounced visits.

It is mandatory that you must register as a food business

It is if you provide any food even if you just provide chopped up fruit for snack. I know a lot of minders hae stopped providing any food so they don't have to register as a food business. Parents bring packed lunches and snacks.

Tink69

This is the frustrating part of it all in our area because my EYSO is not pushing us at all to do this! She has never said it is mandatory but just good prctice! I have passed ofsted inspections and yesterdy got graded up as an Advnced childminder and still not been told this! She knows none of the 15 or so childminders in our town are registered. I may just register to ensure I am ok! Is anyone else from somerset!

Hello

I went on my food safety course last saturday and we were told there by the environmental health people running the course that it is law!!!! but a lot of childminders aren't doing it as previously they were exempt.

Tink69

I scrubbed and made my kitchen plus appliances sparkle like they are brand new. My kitchen was like a show kitchen for the day of inspection.

The blooming woman didn't even go in my kitchen. She sat on my sofa, asked me a few questions about safety and food hygiene. Asked me if I used the Safer Food Better Business pack - yes i replied. Great.

Of she went with a trumpty trump and that was it.

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforce...p/childminders/

The childminders in our area were sent out registration forms in the Summer. Had me fixing the bit of broken floor and I'll be painting some time soon - made me very reflective. Anyway, word is that Health Inspectors are so over worked and under staffed that the likelihood of them every stepping over the threshold is very low. As someone said, they're mostly interested in our knowledge and procedures unless there is a complaint.

Honey

most areas of the country this is now a requirement to register with the local environmental health department as a food business. I know childminders in Oxfordshire were marked down on their Ofsed for not doing so.

But it is an easy form, and its very unlikely you would be inspected

Enviromental Health have been informed by the Government that they must inspect all food business premises and that includes childminders.

So yes, all childminders must register with their local environmental health, because of lack of staff and fundidng you may or may not get a visit from them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)