Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school Setting And Private Nurseries What Is The Difference

Hi all,

so i have my interview for pre-school manager on friday, and i am not nervous but i do want to know if any of you can help me with what exactly is the difference between a pre-school (run by committee) and a private nursery?

i have managed a private nursery before so fully understand that role and all associated with it, but i wondered what it is like to work in a pre-school..... any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated (one person gave lovely advice on a previous post of mine, but i thought as many thoughts as possible would be beneficial.

thanks so much, Dawn

Hi Dawn

Have worked in a privately owned Nursery and a Committee one for the past 15 years and they both were fantastic. Like the previous post said we care for the children of what is ultimately our bosses, but i love the fact that our parents bring lots of lovely ideas, help with our fundraising and basically want the pre-school to do well and achieve.

That can't be a bad thing.

Good luck, fingers crossed i hope it goes well for you. :o xx xD

committees change regularly.. may not be the same people 2 years running... most will have no experience of running a setting, or any idea what it entails- they all have their own ideas and it may be for the good, or occasionally cause friction..

I had good committees, and some nightmare experiences with them over the years..

It really does depend on the committee each year..

good luck...

Inge

and don't forget the location will be very different from a nursery... especially if pack-away.. can be a shock to the system if not used to it.. had a couple of staff leave because of it.. they could not cope with the constant getting out and putting away every day, no displays up , cleaning, and any other restrictions set by the venue.. all of which can be got around with a bit of a creative mind.

Thanks everyone,

i feel a bit more prepared now :-) It is a pre-school in the school grounds (and is not pack away, which would be good) and from what i can gather the commitee and the headteacher are involved (well the head teacher and the committe member are interviewing me).

Dawn