Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E-profile Problems

hi everyone.... new to forum and first topic posted so hoping this works.

I am new in Reception Class and getting to grips with the Eprofile. I have been told by the (slightly unhelpful) previous YR teaching assistant that the Eprofile can only be saved and used on one computer.... this is apparently how it has always been done.

At the moment I have it saved on my classroom computer- which obviously i then cannot work on during my PPA time as cannot be in class... I am hoping someone experienced out there can tell me if this is the case and I can only work on it in school and not from home...

HELP!!

Rach

You can download it and work on it from home but you may need to think about data protection issues.

It is preferable, I think, to only use 1 computer but you could keep saving and inputting the data onto another machine, if you needed to.

Do you have a school laptop you could use?

Guest tinkerbell

Welcome

I have mine on a laptop you can then use it at home and in your PPa time.

It is correct that you should just have it on one machine that is linked to a printer.

Tinkerbell

Hi Rachel. If you go to 'manage your work' and then 'export data' (something like that) you can out it onto a memory stick and transfer it. Then you 'read in from another eprofile' when you get to the other computer.

However, as Susan and Tinkerbell have said, it isnt recommended and you do need to be careful if there is more than one person who may input data because each time you will overwrite anything that is already there. So if you forget (we all do it) to create that export file as the very last thing you do, then you will lose recent entries. Its so easy when you are busy/stressed/distracted to forget this.

I had 2 classes in my school and I used to keep the cohort 'master' on my laptop so each term I would get the updated data from each class. This worked fine for me because Im pretty methodical but there were times when I still managed to get it wrong!

Thanks Tinkerbell but I dont trust laptops... yes I have one and I want to be able to use it but want to have the main copy of the profile on my school computer so that it gets saved in the big back up.

Thanks people for the advice!

Hi Rachel. If you go to 'manage your work' and then 'export data' (something like that) you can out it onto a memory stick and transfer it. Then you 'read in from another eprofile' when you get to the other computer.

However, as Susan and Tinkerbell have said, it isnt recommended and you do need to be careful if there is more than one person who may input data because each time you will overwrite anything that is already there. So if you forget (we all do it) to create that export file as the very last thing you do, then you will lose recent entries. Its so easy when you are busy/stressed/distracted to forget this.

I had 2 classes in my school and I used to keep the cohort 'master' on my laptop so each term I would get the updated data from each class. This worked fine for me because Im pretty methodical but there were times when I still managed to get it wrong!

Thanks mundia- but when i go to 'read in another eprofile' etc can I then work on it at home, re save it and then re open it in school?l Just dont want to do loads of work at home and then not be able to access it- but at same time I am never ever getting chance to work on it in school once the children have gone home... the perks of SMT, SENCO and supporting an NQT..... you know how it is! So being able to work in both locations would be life-saving!

I wouldn't recommend transferring between computers very often as when I tried to do that once I lost all my data - most awful thing! I have it on my laptop so use it at school and home, you can back up your work on a memory stick or school server when you're in school so I'm sure using the laptop is safe. Sorry if not very helpful but if you do decide to do 2 computers, you have to do the export data thing, save it to memory stick and then import data. I never quite trust it now! x

Thanks mundia- but when i go to 'read in another eprofile' etc can I then work on it at home, re save it and then re open it in school?l Just dont want to do loads of work at home and then not be able to access it- but at same time I am never ever getting chance to work on it in school once the children have gone home... the perks of SMT, SENCO and supporting an NQT..... you know how it is! So being able to work in both locations would be life-saving!

Hi Rachel.

I dont know if you have seen the guidance booklet for the new (very new) version (3.2) but there's a whole section on transferring between computers and also data protection. I think this is explained much better than I can do it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)