Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Voice Books

Hello All,

I am after some help/ideas about parent voice books and would love to hear what exisiting practise

is in place and how effective it is?

I have searched the forums, and a first on here, I haven't found any threads! Perhaps people call them by another name?

Ideally I would like a simple book whereby the parents can share valuable information as often as they like. Whilst our parents come into the classroom daily and we chat informally, there is i'm sure lots of significant information that does not get shared.

I already have in place 'Good News' notices which the parents fill out and send into school however I was looking for a way to include the parents more in assessing the child against the profile. The book would be for parents to share comments such as their child counting 9 chips on their plate independently etc.

Does anybody have a similar/effective system in place?[/font]

Many thanks in anticipation of your help! :o

Lucy x[/color]

Hi,

Not sure if this is what you mean but....we do Wow books! Each child has a A4 scrap book to take home at the weekends or anytime if they are doing something special or have visitors etc at home! The parents stick photos in and make comments. You could maybe adapt this to what you would like??? They are great and the parents love them!! :)

We have Parents' Pages - small books that go home in a plastic zipped wallet every day. We made them ourselves from bright coloured small exercise books and stuck a colourful picture on the front! A bit low tech but they look really good!

I talked to the parents about the books before the children started and explained that they were for them to record any significant moments or new skills/interests that they notice at home. This could be just a couple of sentences or include photos.

Although it is early days, they are proving successful so far and we have had some lovely and also really useful comments. We will use this information to feed into our assessments.

Hope this helps.

we have communication books - small exercise books with a small note on the fron cover - i got the note from here but not sure where or how - perhaps try under communication books?

this book is for parents to write notes about anything they feel important - something their child has acheived at home / changes at home etc x

Evening,

We tried really hard with the 'parent voice' book and we found that the same children were filling them in and by Christmas many of them had lost interest. So we decided to give out 'WOW' stickers. At Parents Evening we gave each set of parents a large roll of plain white stickers and the ELG's. We explained that they could write down on the stickers anything they wanted to, it could link to the goals, their hobbies or what they had done at the weekend. Then they simply stuck it to their jumpers in the morning and we celebrated them everyday - we played WOW by Kylie Minogue, they sang along and then we shared what they had done. The stickers were then peeled from their jumpers and stuck in their learning journals and the goals marked off - simples!!!! and because they were more visual we did manage to create some healthy competition between the parents too!

Nicky

Wow!!

Some great ideas there thank you, I think I shall be using a combination of all your ideas! I'm liking the Kylie Minogue music especially thanks Nicky and the WOW book name Bubbles. Blondie - I am about to look for that note for the start of the book too!

I'm thinking of having the books still but printing out some Funky Wow stickers that the child could come in wearing so that we know to share what is in their book (and to keep up some friendly parent competition!)

Cheers guys, keep and ideas coming please! :o

Evening,

We tried really hard with the 'parent voice' book and we found that the same children were filling them in and by Christmas many of them had lost interest. So we decided to give out 'WOW' stickers. At Parents Evening we gave each set of parents a large roll of plain white stickers and the ELG's. We explained that they could write down on the stickers anything they wanted to, it could link to the goals, their hobbies or what they had done at the weekend. Then they simply stuck it to their jumpers in the morning and we celebrated them everyday - we played WOW by Kylie Minogue, they sang along and then we shared what they had done. The stickers were then peeled from their jumpers and stuck in their learning journals and the goals marked off - simples!!!! and because they were more visual we did manage to create some healthy competition between the parents too!

Nicky

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! I'm going to copy you and implement this! Thank you for sharing! xx

we had home/communication books in my nursery - but other nurseries i have visited have a display board and slips of paper that parents can just take home to write on for celebtations, holidays, days out etc - they work very well. Staff jut then stick them into thier L&D journeys. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)