Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is It Just Me?

Glen

Hi

Just had to say that two weeks in I love the increase to the 3 hour funding. After the initial sorting out of times and staff cover I think it is great.

So much time to do all the stuff that we used to struggle with

snacks, observations etc

But most importantly time to talk to the children

Glen

hhmmm- not convinced yet- being a nursery attached to the school the best option was to do the 2.5 days and 2.5 days. Although it does gives us more time to do some things it is the long break in between the two sessions before returning. However, it is only their second week in and some have yet to start so will hold back untl the end of term!

finding it more difficult to fit everything in at the moment as we have had to do split starts ....some children starting at 8.30 and finishing at 11.30 and the others starting at 9 and finishing at 12 then lunch club then another group of children starting at 12 and 12.30 .....confused xD yeh me too :o

I have only a half hour to get all the staff lunched now instead of 45 minutes and it is virtually impossible!

I much preferred the 2 1/2 session and the longer lunch period.

I like that the children have longer to get involved in their play but the middle section of the day is really stressful. We have 2 basic sessions of 3 hours back to back 8:50 - 11:50 and 11:50 - 2:50 but some arrive at 10:50 and do 4 hours, some stay until 12:50 and do 4 hours. We then have a couple that fill in the 2 hours left by those children. To further complicate matters, some have lunch and some don't so from 11.20 - 12.20 (roughly) we have children eating, playing, arriving and leaving!! Logistical nightmare. Add to this trying to get 4 staff lunched on a rota :o

How are you organising the session?

We have a rolling snack and did away with register and circle time for the first couple of weeks to see how things went with the longer sessions and no proper lunch club and have found it so much calmer when the children have had almost complete free flow play. We've stopped and tidied up for story or songs at the end of each session but next week we are reinstating circle time. How we're going to do this I don't know!

The morning will be fine but in the afternoon we will have one of our qualified staff at lunch and I'm not sure our cover staff are up to running an effective group :/ that's another issue entirely!