Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Career Advise Please

HoneyPancakes

Dear All,

In the midst of a career crisis. Please help if you can.

I stumbled into Early Years work, becoming a childminder when my little boys were starting school. I love the actual work, but not so keen on carrying all the responsibility by myself for much longer. I've been a parent helper in my boy's school and really loved it. Think I would prefer to be a classroom assistant for the hours and responsibility level, but would it pay enough and is there enough work available? Childminders have potential to earn about £27k if always busy and work all hols (I certainly don't though).

I have completed the NVQ3 in Child Care, Learning and Development, and I am wondering if this could be converted to Classroom/Teaching Assistant quite easily. Maybe I should bite the bullet and do the EYPS instead though, which was my plan until all the funding dried up. Minor prob is that I had a stressy time at school and maybe my English grade might not stand up to University entrance here. I have been to university in Australia as a mature student but entered through an ability test- nobody seems to think that stands for anything here though. Unfortunately I only finished 2 years and moved here to marry and didn't get back - yes, more than nine years now since I started degree. Should I do more study? I am in my mid forties - is it too late?

My priorities are:-

1. High level of job satisfaction.

2. Term Time work and pref school hours so my boys aren't always in care

3. I'll need to clear £12k (at today's rate) within 3-5 years.

4. Not mountains of paperwork.

Would anyone be vulgar enough to suggest estimated pay levels at the end of study for the different grades?

Looking forward to drinking from the font of knowledge,

Honey

I expect that classroom assistants have less paperwork for more money than Preschool staff do. Only speaking from my own experience I know that my staff do a lot more that the early years assistant in school does - but she gets paid quite a bit more than I can afford to pay my staff.

Why don't you contact the Open University and see what they have to offer?

I work as a TA in Y1 part time, so I feel I can offer you some advice.

The role of a TA can vary depending on if you are there to support the child on a SEN basis or support the teacher. This could be working with a child with an Individual Eduation Plan (IEP) or making sure that the resources are ready for the teacher and also take small groups as the teacher asks. My role is very diffrent, as you can see below, a mix of both.

With working part time my role is to support the teachers use of the contitous provision areas (year one seems to be like the old reception) including taking observations (very new this year). Also with having an outdoor classroom been built, myself and the full time TA takes turns in being outdoors to allow free flow play. Then later in the year to taking small groups of children for literacy and maths. The other part of my role is to carry out an IEP work for a child I support, this is mainly 1:1 work. I have to ensure that I have all my resorces ready for the IEP time, then afterward record the work on the relevant forms. I also find at times when theres displays to make theres lots of cutting out etc.

The role of the full time TA is to mainly support the teacher though making sure resorces are ready, does the displays (I never seem to have time to get them up on the wall) and works in small groups with the children. The TA also takes a support group when asked, so they have paperwork for that do to.

I have a CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education which is equlevent of the qualification you have. I also have a Foundation Degree in Early Years and just started to top up this degree with a BEd (Hons) stage 3 without QTS. I am underpinning my early years knowladge with Primary Eduation curriculum, which I feel will support my role.

I hope this has given you an idea of what being a TA is like.

Beth

Thank you so much Cait and Beth,

It sounds like it might be worthwhile continuing with some study - prob too late for more than preparation this year though. Well there's a project. I'm going to have to work my socks off if I'm going to be able to make a living in the medium term.

I have been observing the role of the TA while I've been helping and I really love it. Lots of job satisfaction without the managment responsibility that I am struggling with at the moment. Also glad it sounds like my qualification will hold up in the short term.

On with the plan.

Honey