Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Area For Kids With Asd

Hi everyone, my class are mostly year 2 and all have moderate to severe ASD. We've moved classrooms and have inherited a smallish outdoor area of our very own! This is very exciting except that my brain seems to have gone on strike!

I have a few ideas of things I'd like to do with it but I just can't seem to get on a roll. The area is mostly concreted with a strip of beds up one side for planting (I'm planning to plant fruit and veg) and a very small area of grass. We've got one largish tree that I'm thinking of hanging a bird feeder from.

As far as equipment goes, at the moment we've got 3 bikes, a plastic crocodile seesaw and a plastic slide. Not exatly awe-inspiring!

I'm defo gonna get some balls and attach a cheap plastic washing basket to the fence to use as a target, but other than that I'm stumped! I've tried a mark-making box with this group before but found that it didn't work because they ended up eating all the crayons, paint etc. whenever it was unattended!!

At playtimes I try to leave them alone unless they want my attention because I spend most of the time in class forcing them to interact, which is difficult for them due to their ASD and so I think it's important to let them have a proper break at playtimes, so am looking for ideas of things that they can do as independently as possible. Obviously we can have focussed activities to teach them what to do with equipment but then I want to be able to step back and let them get on with it.

My main obstacle (other than my lack of ideas!) is money. We've got a very small class budget (£80) to buy anythin that we need both inside and out and so ideas for recycling unwanted objects or very cheap to buy things would be fantastic. Also I'm quite handy with power tools so making things out of wood is a possibilty :D

I'd REALLY appreciate everyone's help with this. Even if you've never taught kids with ASD and aren't sure whether your idea would be suitable, please suggest it anyway, if nothing else it might just help me to get going with some ideas.

Right I'm gonna stop rambling now and thank you in anticipation of your wonderful ideas,

Amy x

Lots of natural things for sorting such a pine cones, pebbles, shells, small lumps of wood or sticks, small logs, leaves, and lots of different size plant pots which they may wish to sort out, line up or use for putting things in. Something to make dens out of such as old boxes and sheets or blankets.

Lots and lots of fabrics in different sizes, boxes, string, pegs, crates, tyres, planks, guttering, whatever you can get for free from your local community .Do look at the previous post on communication friendly spaces fantastic ideas. For your soil area spades, pots of differing sizes, can anyone make you any weaving looms for threading.

Also worth enquiring at B&Q I know they used to provide materials and also help with makeovers.

Has your school also looked at small grant funding for outside play areas.

I know our local Lions clubs and Rotary clubs have often helped with donations of money or equipment for ventures such as yours.

What about asking your parents/ carers you would be amazed how many work in the building or a trade that maybe able to help you.

I hope you find this useful and lets us all know how you get on. :o

Brilliant ideas, thanks. I'm feeling more inspired already!

I should have mentioned that the classroom is likely to go back to being a PMLD room next year (that's what it was previously which is why there's nothing suitable for my kids out there) so everything needs to be moveable and not permanant.

Thanks all, keep them coming!!

:) xxx

Hi everyone, my class are mostly year 2 and all have moderate to severe ASD. We've moved classrooms and have inherited a smallish outdoor area of our very own! This is very exciting except that my brain seems to have gone on strike!

I have a few ideas of things I'd like to do with it but I just can't seem to get on a roll. The area is mostly concreted with a strip of beds up one side for planting (I'm planning to plant fruit and veg) and a very small area of grass. We've got one largish tree that I'm thinking of hanging a bird feeder from.

As far as equipment goes, at the moment we've got 3 bikes, a plastic crocodile seesaw and a plastic slide. Not exatly awe-inspiring!

I'm defo gonna get some balls and attach a cheap plastic washing basket to the fence to use as a target, but other than that I'm stumped! I've tried a mark-making box with this group before but found that it didn't work because they ended up eating all the crayons, paint etc. whenever it was unattended!!

At playtimes I try to leave them alone unless they want my attention because I spend most of the time in class forcing them to interact, which is difficult for them due to their ASD and so I think it's important to let them have a proper break at playtimes, so am looking for ideas of things that they can do as independently as possible. Obviously we can have focussed activities to teach them what to do with equipment but then I want to be able to step back and let them get on with it.

My main obstacle (other than my lack of ideas!) is money. We've got a very small class budget (£80) to buy anythin that we need both inside and out and so ideas for recycling unwanted objects or very cheap to buy things would be fantastic. Also I'm quite handy with power tools so making things out of wood is a possibilty :D

I'd REALLY appreciate everyone's help with this. Even if you've never taught kids with ASD and aren't sure whether your idea would be suitable, please suggest it anyway, if nothing else it might just help me to get going with some ideas.

Right I'm gonna stop rambling now and thank you in anticipation of your wonderful ideas,

Amy x

I would say guttering is great, cut short lengths and fix them to a fence (cable ties can be used for this purpose) Water, balls and cars can then be sent down it.

Washing line for numbers, sequencing, letters etc

Mark making using water, paint brushes with water on the fence, spray bottles etc

Quiet area for looking at books

Investigative area for children to dig and discover with clip boards for children to record what they find

Outdoor role play area such as a builders yard, car wash

Natural objects to explore and investigate

Strips of fabric/ribbons for weaving outdoors. If no fence is suitable then the orange mesh from builders yards would be ideal.

Hope some of these ideas are useful

Edited by Guest

Lots of lovely ideas something I've done in our Nursery is tied one of the airflow balls onto some string and hung it from a tree - voila instant swingball that my Nursery love - they can bat it with their hands or the bats it even encourages them to be co-operative too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)