Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Workers

My 2nd 'really wondering' question. I am wondering if we should implement the idea of key workers in our setting? We are a small school of 63 children, I have a class of 18 children 11 reception and 7 year one children. I am wondering if it's something that OFSTED expect to see in every setting, and also if it's useful. Is there someone out there who could 'sell it to me please' If I'm going to do it then i need to be doing oit for a valid reason. Thankyou for reading:-)

Kazz

Yes it is but if you are in a school setting then the class teacher can be the key person for all their children, so if you are the FS2 teacher then you are their key person already as you have the responsibility for your children, their well-being, parent liaison, observation, assessment, planning, learning journeys, recording etc. etc. and 11 is a reasonable number for a key-person group. There are many school settings where there is not a full time TA in the Reception to share the children with, and the teacher will be the key person for up to 30 children. Obviously if you have a TA who would like to take that role for some of your Reception children, then that would be another way of doing it. You might also want to look at who is looking after the children at lunchtime so that they have someone designated specifically for them if numbers allow.

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction :-) I will read through this document tonight and then make a decision about 'sharing the children with my TA , even though she is keen I AM aware that TA's pay doesn't cover what we expect of them already. , but thankyou for the helpful comments everyone

kazzxx

Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction :-) I will read through this document tonight and then make a decision about 'sharing the children with my TA , even though she is keen I AM aware that TA's pay doesn't cover what we expect of them already. , but thankyou for the helpful comments everyone

kazzxx

The key person role is more about attachment than extra work as in school the teacher of course have the overall responsibility for all the children.

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)