Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Day As An Nqt Tomorrow, Tips Please!

Please give me your words of wisdom for tomorrow. It's my first day with my Reception class, I am an NQT and very nervous and feeling very tearful. Got to pull myself together before the morning, so any calming words are greatly appreciated.

My biggest fear is behaviour and getting it under control etc, any advice on this?

Thanks so much

xx

Please give me your words of wisdom for tomorrow. It's my first day with my Reception class, I am an NQT and very nervous and feeling very tearful. Got to pull myself together before the morning, so any calming words are greatly appreciated.

My biggest fear is behaviour and getting it under control etc, any advice on this?

Thanks so much

xx

Hi there - me too! just remember its natural to feel like this and you're not alone certainly. I'm in school for inset tomorrow and friday, then get my new class on Monday. It's the first few weeks that worry me, as I'm gettig kids in six at a time so feel that although it gives me time to do observations I can't get going on a lot of stuff such as classroom rules, and my 'ourselves' theme.

I panic about things like forgetting nursery rhymes half way through, and what the (very experienced) TAs will think of me...

Hang in there and post tomorow how it went.

I'm sure you will both have great fun.

Just be clear in your expectations and firm, dont change your mind. Remember these are very small children, some of whom may be used to getting there own way, some of whom may not have been away from mum much and they will be nervous too. Think of their behaviour as a means of communication with you and dont be afraid to look at your own expectations and alter them appropriately. If your expectations are realistic, behaviour is usually not a problem.

Good luck.

Good luck!

It is different being a 'proper' teacher rather than a student one as the children automatically come in knowing you are their teacher - not just someone who comes in and teaches while their teacher is there too - if that makes sense. So they (or often, mostly?!) do what is expected if you have clear expectations - well, that's my experience.

Oh and have fun!

Good luck and my advice is to play play play and you wil get to know the children and they will get to know you. They are very nervous too!

Lorna

Good luck!

This time tomorrow you'll be wondering what you were so worried about! I'm just agreeing with everything else that has been said really, have clear, realistic expectations and stick to them. Remember to actually tell the children what you expect, it's one thing having your expectations clear in your own head but they are not mind readers! And above all have fun!

Oh yeah do have fun. I was you this time last year, panicking, nervous, really experienced TA (who actually is fantastic and I wouldn't dream of doing my job without her!) But it was great once I got going!

I didn't plan anything for the first day, but I had some ideas about very short circle times, and I chose one or two stories that i was really confident with, made a list of songs to sing (in case i went blank!).

I did 4 very short times on the carpet and spent the rest of the day playing and talking to the children. It was over so fast!

Only thing that went wrong was I forgot to introduce myelf to the children! ha ha!

Agree to be fair and firm from the moment they come in (as necessary of course) but yes they know that you are their teacher and already have that 'inner' respect, but unle you affirm it when needed it will disappear.

Im sure you'll do great!

Also, make good use of your extra 10% out of the classroom, Im starting to wonder how i will pack everything into 1 ppa session. lol! I wish i had observed more teachers and been to ee other recpetion clasrooms for inspiration when i had chance!

The best advice I can give is be yourself, enjoy it and don't beat yourself up if something does go wrong - you're human, it'll be next year before you know it!

Lucie x

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck and I am sure you'll both be fine. Agree with Lucie, don't beat yourself up if things go wrong. I think the best piece of advice I ever had was jot down at the end of the day one thing that went well until you have a nice litttle dossier of things that are good that you can comfort yourself with when something doesn't work as well as expected.

Re behaviour: in my opinion a 'sad/disappointed ' voice works well!

Posy

It's late and I'm hoping that everyone starting tomorrow is in bed getting a good night's sleep in preparation. Lots of good advice already. I'd just say - be flexible - if you prepare for everyone to take ages to leave their families then they'll all be super confident and come in with no problems. If you assume confidence then it will take ages to pry little fingers off trouser legs!

Also don't assume anything about their understanding. As someone else said we know what's in our head but they don't - they don't always know the meaning of words you think would be familiar. Take your time to explain things.

Most of all... have fun. They're great.

I am in same position on Monday and just going to use week one as a settling week and getting to know the children so I can do their on entry assessments. Lots of PSED too!! I am panicing as the head wants my class to join in for whole school assembly at 10 o'clock an hour after they've arrived - does anyone have a great lining up rhyme or song that I could use to help get them to the hall!! Thank you Lu

Thanks for all the advice, just thought i'd report back to say the day went really well! The children were fine and generally behaved really well. There's a few things I will keep working with them on such as calling out etc but I think if I keep reinforcing it within a week it won't happen at all ( fingers crossed). :o

Am still feeling a little bit teary ( though managed to hold it together all day without any wobbles! xD ). I am just hoping that I am good enough and will be able to get through it ! Any tips on making it through the term?

Edited by yellowdaisies

Thanks for all the advice, just thought i'd report back to say the day went really well! The children were fine and generally behaved really well. There's a few things I will keep working with them on such as calling out etc but I think if I keep reinforcing it within a week it won't happen at all ( fingers crossed). :o

Am still feeling a little bit teary ( though managed to hold it together all day without any wobbles! xD ). I am just hoping that I am good enough and will be able to get through it ! Any tips on making it through the term?

I am not a teacher but my tip would be carry on believing in yourself, take each day as it comes and enjoy it the ups and downs along the way :(

Fab! I'm glad it went well for you. My first day with my new class is tomorrow and I'm just as nervous, I don't think the first day gets much better no matter how much experience you've had (maybe after ten years I'll be fine!)

There's a few things I will keep working with them on such as calling out etc but I think if I keep reinforcing it within a week it won't happen at all ( fingers crossed). :o

Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't. Took a good half a term last year for some of mine. Some just need it reinforced over and over until you're sick of it! Just remember to say "put your hand up" if you say anything at all, rather than "don't shout out".

Edited by Guest

I hope you enjoyed your day as much as I did. I too started a new job today - 30 years after I first started teaching!! Iwas also feeling apprenhensive but had a really good morning and am looking forward to tomorrow. I might even manage to sleep tonight!

p.s This is my first post! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)