Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Application

Hi everyone,

I'm currently completing a job application and in the experience section it says do not use a pre prepared cv. Does this mean i have to handwrite in the box or can i still include a letter of application. Just not sure if they are the same thing? Apologies for asking what is probably a straight forward question! My first application thats all!

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Peaches

Dont worry about asking seemingly sraightforrwad questions, we've all been there.

I always type wherever I can baecuse my handwriting is dreadful, but this is a mtter ofn personla preference unless stated otherwise in the job deataills. I wouldnt use capitlas unless asked to, they are diffciult to read.

Application forms do vary qute a bit and soemtimes they provide guidelines of the sort of info they arev lookng for in each section. I would imagine that the experience section is just that, a list of your previous jobs and experiences. The additional information section which is often a blank page at teh back where you could attach a letter (which is what I would do). This is likley to be what 'sells' you to your prospective employer (its certainly the bit I look at when i am selecting candidates for interview.). This is more about what you can bring to the job, your skills, why you want the job and how you meet the person spec if there is one.

Hope that helps?

Personally, I think a written letter is a good idea - application forms don't always allow your personality to come through.

An application form makes the selection and interviewing process much easier, because all the information is presented in the same format - reading ten CVs all laid out differently can be challenging! Completing the application form by hand also indicates that you can present information in response to set criteria or questions. Not very 'equal ops' - whether the applicant has a special educational need or just bad handwriting.

This is an interesting point, now that I think about it - settings have to undertake to provide information in a variety of ways appropriate to individuals' learning styles/special needs/literacy difficulties. Will employers have to provide the same opportunities for job applicants under the Disability Discrimination Act?

Sorry - I digress! If I was applying for a job I would write a brief letter introducing myself, enclosing the application form and saying something (briefly) about why I had chosen to apply for the post.

Hope you are successful in your job search, Peaches!

Maz

I agree with Mundia, I think the "pre-prepared CV" they refer to would be a generic list of jobs/posts held which does not tailor your application to the specific post advertised. What I would do (and do do!) is go through the person specification/job description: this is the skill set they are asking you to show you have. Against all the different points think of examples of things you have done or experienced that match what they are looking for. You can sometimes group different spec points in one paragraph for ease. In your supporting statement/letter you need to address the points in the spec and demonstrate how you have the requisite skills/knowledge and understanding they are looking for. Don't use "we", use "i" when describing what it is you have done. I have often included quotes from inspections or similar if they related directly to work I had been involved in or lead.

Eg: The spec might require you to have a knowledge of Special educational needs so you might write something like this: "I have been responsible for identifying children with SEN in my class and have liased with the SENCo to write IEPs for specific targets. Through this process I have also been able to gain a good knowledge of the code of practice and to work with other professionals and parents to ensure that all childrens needs are planned for and supported appropriately"

This supporting statement might be a couple of pages but don't worry, if it is clear and links to the information they require they will read it. This is the basis of the shortlisting usually.They want to be able to tick the boxes that show you are worth interviewing. Don'tput down anything you can't talk about confidently!!! I would type it and lay it out clearly and with good spacing, I think it demonstrates a basic competency with ICT which is often a requirement!

Good luck!

Cx :o

Thanks Catma. What you have said really makes sense and it sounds like I am on the right tracks. I feel much better now! Thanks again for your help :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)