Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Observations

Hi

I was just wondering how you track the range of observations that you do (checking that all children are covered), the observation outcomes in relation to the profile (as each observation can cover several areas) and how you track the children's achievement towards the scales?

We use the Eprofile which is a great way of collecting all of the data. I just think that I am missing something which will enable me to plan and assess more efficiently.

How do you know when each child has completed a scale which has so many different parts to it (like CD 7, 8). Last year I just felt a bit unorganised and bogged down with filing and cross referenc ing. This year I feel as though I need a system for organising myself.

Any help?

What I do is to write my observations of some adult led and all child initiated learning on sticky labels. As I stick them into their learning stories I reference them to the profile scale points. At the back of the learning story is a sheet with all the scale points on which I then tick when an observation is stuck in (I also write CI or AL). Once I feel the children have demonstrated the scale point with enough child initiated I highlight it. I also scribble all over my plans which feed directly into my next lot of planning.

With regards to those points that have lots of elements in them such as CD, I write next to the point what it is e.g. dance, role-play etc so i can see that children have achieved a variety of the elements.

Hope that makes sense, it works for us!

Hi Rachelle! I know everyone is different but I will outline what we do and what works for us- if you have any questions just ask! For the longer obs (5min ones) We have a sheet that helps us track who we have obs for, we write our initials in the next box when we complete an obs- then we can make sure we are getting a balance rather than lots for the same child and barely any for another child! It would be quite simple to adapt that sheet for post it note type obs as well I suppose.

On our format for the long obs we highlight which profile points are covered by that obs.

When the obs are filed I number them and I have a sheet (evidence record sheet) that I record the number on to show the evidence collected towards each point and what type of evidence it is (photo/work/longs obs/post it etc).

We now file our evidence in date order rather than in different areas of learning because as you said one obs can meet lots of profile points from different areas of learning and you can spend ages cross referencing and recording where the evidence is stored. We have a book mark on the current page in the scrap book to make it easy to find the next place to stick the evidence in.

We print photos onto sticky labels to make it much easier to stick them in without cutting etc. When we take a photo we write a little note on a post it to go with the photo. We use one colour post it notes for incidental obs and a different colour for photo related ones, which make it quick and easy to pair the obs to the photo and stick them in together.

We have an A4 plastic envelope (the ones with a popper on) for 'today's obsversations' which I look through everyday, scribble any links to the profile on them, print any photos (again the colour is an obvious way to know there are photos to print), and transfer them to another file (one of those ones with little sections in) under each child's name. The next day me and my NN try to chip away filing the evidence into the chn's books, not always possible but we try our best!

Although we both stick in the evidence I am responsible for recording on the evidence record sheet, so at certain points I go through the book and record the evidence on the record sheet- when I have record it I highlight the date/number with a highlighter pen so I can see which ones have been recorded. This means that even if I don't have time to record it on the sheet it can still be stuck in the book and when I go back I know which pieces need to recorded. On the evidence reocrd sheet I highlight the profile point when it is achieved, using a different colour for each term- this means that I can see what has been achieved and the colours help to show progress over time. Each child has a profile on 1 page, that is highlighted.

I am planning to break down the larger profile points into a/b/c etc before I go back to school so that will hopefully help make it clearer which parts have/haven't got evidence for/achieved.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helpful! I will answer any Qs because I prob haven't explain it that clearly!

long_obs_checklist.docx

long_obs_sheet.doc

evidence_record_2010_11.doc

_EYFS_Profile_1_page.doc

Edited by Guest

. At the back of the learning story is a sheet with all the scale points on which I then tick when an observation is stuck in (I also write CI or AL). Once I feel the children have demonstrated the scale point with enough child initiated I highlight it. I also scribble all over my plans which feed directly into my next lot of planning.

Hi KST

Do you have a copy of this sheet? It's sounds like a very quick and effective way of recording. Would it be possible for you to upload it please?

Hi KST

Do you have a copy of this sheet? It's sounds like a very quick and effective way of recording. Would it be possible for you to upload it please?

Hi Rufus,

i've attached my sheet, I print it two sided and just staple it into the back of their learning story. I find it quite an easy way of keeping track. Its actually very similar to one added by misc.

I also have 5 focus children a week which i do a longer obs on which I also use a longer obs sheet very similar to misc and reference that to scales points too.

xx

EYFS_Profile_Scales_points.doc

Hi Rufus,

i've attached my sheet, I print it two sided and just staple it into the back of their learning story. I find it quite an easy way of keeping track. Its actually very similar to one added by misc.

I also have 5 focus children a week which i do a longer obs on which I also use a longer obs sheet very similar to misc and reference that to scales points too.

xx

Thanks KST, that's great.

:o Thankyou very very very much- I think I'm going to be very organised this year- now I just need to manage my time... ha

The sheets and ideas are going to be really helpful,

Thanks again x

Hi Missc

How do you print photos onto labels? This sounds like it would save so much time which would be brilliant.

Thanks

at the moment we input them into word template of the sticky label sheet- smallish size and replace the paper in the printer with sheets of sticky labels the correct size- you just have to make sure you set up the template in word beforehand. Am about to try printing them striaght onto labels the correct size without importing them because that would be quicker! Will let you know how it goes!

at the moment we input them into word template of the sticky label sheet- smallish size and replace the paper in the printer with sheets of sticky labels the correct size- you just have to make sure you set up the template in word beforehand. Am about to try printing them striaght onto labels the correct size without importing them because that would be quicker! Will let you know how it goes!

Hi Missc - What size labels are you using? - sounds a brilliant idea.

Also - Looking at the wonderful obsv tracking systems I'm trying to adapt to simplify for me - would love any feedback to see if this will/won't work - Have I missed anything obvious...?

I have made up a summary tracker where ANY and ALL evidence is noted. The attached (if I did it right, if not I'll have another go!!) shows my children in their groups. If I or TA have some incidental obsv evidence against one of the areas we'll tick that area. Hopefully I can use this to track which childrn are being missed/which we are getting lots of evidence for and which children are too focused during CIL in partiucalr areas. If we do a longer 5 min obsv we'll initial for that child unde the relevant area.

I plan to keep this tracker on our wall for staff use for at least a half term. Then start a new one but file them with my planning.

I've taken the idea of different coloured post its for evidence with/without a photo that the adult can note the focus area and date and collect in a wallet until they are put into children's books. Once added to the learning journey books I'll tick them and cross ref to your assessment scales doc by denoting which page (previously page numbered) of the learning journey the evidence can be found on. If it is from a longer obsv then we'll write the number of the obsv and circle it. I'm not going to track the type of evidence photos/parental etc as I think I'll get bogged down in admin.

I have also made up labels for each scale an example of which I have attempted to attach - if they help anyone.

evidence_tracking.docx

sounds4.doc

Hi Missc - What size labels are you using? - sounds a brilliant idea.

Well you can get avery ones that are 4 to a page, then you could print directly from windows or whatever photo program, but they are expensive, I have got ones from Staples that are A5- think I paid £12 for 100 sheets, which in my opinion is not too bad if it makes my life easier!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest laura286
Although we both stick in the evidence I am responsible for recording on the evidence record sheet, so at certain points I go through the book and record the evidence on the record sheet- when I have record it I highlight the date/number with a highlighter pen so I can see which ones have been recorded. This means that even if I don't have time to record it on the sheet it can still be stuck in the book and when I go back I know which pieces need to recorded. On the evidence reocrd sheet I highlight the profile point when it is achieved, using a different colour for each term- this means that I can see what has been achieved and the colours help to show progress over time. Each child has a profile on 1 page, that is highlighted.

Hi Missc,

Was just wondering if you could explain that in more detail please as I am a bit unclear on what you mean. I am an NQT working in reception so trying to get my head around the obs and learning journeys, so this is very useful reading for me!

Many thanks,

Laura

Hi Missc,

Was just wondering if you could explain that in more detail please as I am a bit unclear on what you mean. I am an NQT working in reception so trying to get my head around the obs and learning journeys, so this is very useful reading for me!

Many thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,

Sorry for the confusion, it can sometimes be tricky to explain clearly! on my original post I attatched my record sheet- there is one for each scale (so 13 sheets). Each child has a set of these and we record the observations on these when collected. This means that we can see which pieces of evidence there are for each point. On the record sheet we highlight the point when it is achieved. That way when we look at (for example) the reading points for Ben we can see which ones he has achieved. We use different colours for each term so that we can see when each point was achieved. although I am responsible for writing on the record sheet, my TA and I both file the observations and stick them in the chn's books. When I have written on the recording sheet I mark the observation- post it, photo or long obs so that I know it has been written onto the recording sheet. This means that my TA can stick them in without worrying about the recording and I can keep track of which ones have been recorded. Hope that is a bit more helpful- feel free to ask more Q if you need more help!

Guest laura286

Ahhh I get it now!! Thanks for clearing things up. Makes much more sense now- its such a great way of doing the learning journeys.

Thanks for uploading your examples of your tracking sheets also, am going to take them into my school and suggest we follow the way you do it.

Laura

Hi Missc

I'm still a bit confused about whether I shoudld be gathering evidence against the ELGs or the profile scales.

I'n my last workplace they had printed labels for all profile points and stuck them in the lerarning journeys with any photo evidence and post-its, but at my new job they said they make comments against the ELGs in the learning journeys.

Also - How many bits of evidence before you highlight.

Hi Missc

I'm still a bit confused about whether I shoudld be gathering evidence against the ELGs or the profile scales.

I'n my last workplace they had printed labels for all profile points and stuck them in the lerarning journeys with any photo evidence and post-its, but at my new job they said they make comments against the ELGs in the learning journeys.

Also - How many bits of evidence before you highlight.

Hi Quinny, I just focus my evidence collection on th profile points 1-9, I also highlight off the development matters statements but tend to do this on my own knowledge- i guess it depends how much your school trusts you!. As for highlighthing the profile points, it depends on the point really- some of the 1/2/3 statements I would prob only have 1 or 2 at the most but others I would say a couple of pieces are enough- obviously some of the points have lots of parts- particularly CD for example so you would need enough to cover all of the parts of the point if that makes sense.

Hi,

I'm new to reception and as the previous teacher is now on maternity leave, I'm the only one in my school who knows a bit about the EYFS! I'm very confused though, trying to get my head around all the assessment. Forgive me for sounding so stupid, but there's a lot to take in!

I've been doing entry assessments, but don't get the link between ELG, profile scale points, and development matters objectives. I thought initially I assessed purely against the scale points, but reading through the recent posts, it seems i'm very wrong!

Can anyone explain (as simply as possible please!) exactly what assessments I should be doing? I know I need to doing the learning story/journey things, as well as incidental observations which I think the previous teacher recorded on sticky labels and with pictures...I just can't quite get my head around the rest of it and how it all fits in. Please help!!

Again, apologies for sounding so stupid...I've only taught Y5 and Y2 before!

K :o

Ok will try to explain my thinking on this...

Development matters (EYFS) is what you should be planning from not assessing against, however the Early Learning Goals are in the Development matters and are also the scale points (points 4-8) on the profile so there is some over lap.

As for your on entry assessments what i am doing (and others can correct me if I'm wrong) is to spend lots of time oberving the children and assessing where they are, for this I generally look at profile points 1-3 and higher if children are brighter. Along with my discussions from pre-school I will assess the children against the profile at half term to get a baseline score. Children who are achieving in points 1-3 are generally working securely within the 30-50 months age dvelopment matters band which you plan from, but children achieveing 3 or more points are emerging into 40-60 months so you would plan from this.

Your assessments are made from observations which can re recorded on stick labels and photos and are stuck into the learning story if you wish to use these, you can have an element of what you yourself knows of the children in your head.

I then made significant next steps from the observations which feed into my planning.

Other than that no other assessment is needed. I do assess the children through some adult led tasks too, like writing their name, counting objects, recognising numbers and any sounds (but do it fun and practical).

Sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding already! Hope that makes sense and good luck!

K x

Ok will try to explain my thinking on this...

Development matters (EYFS) is what you should be planning from not assessing against, however the Early Learning Goals are in the Development matters and are also the scale points (points 4-8) on the profile so there is some over lap.

As for your on entry assessments what i am doing (and others can correct me if I'm wrong) is to spend lots of time oberving the children and assessing where they are, for this I generally look at profile points 1-3 and higher if children are brighter. Along with my discussions from pre-school I will assess the children against the profile at half term to get a baseline score. Children who are achieving in points 1-3 are generally working securely within the 30-50 months age dvelopment matters band which you plan from, but children achieveing 3 or more points are emerging into 40-60 months so you would plan from this.

Your assessments are made from observations which can re recorded on stick labels and photos and are stuck into the learning story if you wish to use these, you can have an element of what you yourself knows of the children in your head.

I then made significant next steps from the observations which feed into my planning.

Other than that no other assessment is needed. I do assess the children through some adult led tasks too, like writing their name, counting objects, recognising numbers and any sounds (but do it fun and practical).

Sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding already! Hope that makes sense and good luck!

K x

Thank you so much! That makes a lot more sense now. Think I was probably making myself more confused over it, but you've helped loads there. Thank you!

K

x

What do you all do about initial assessments if a child doesnt achieve a scale of 1 on the profile. What do you use to show on entry level?

development matters statements- mind you a score of below 1 is very low

• 1 month later...

All this is sooo usefu! Thanks everyone for your input I have spent most of half term trying to get to grops with it all and now feel much better. I was workingin a similar way but had complicated it too much.

but children achieving 3 or more points are emerging into 40-60 months so you would plan from this.

I agree re up to a total of 3 but If children are attaining any of the scale points above 3 (ie within 4 -8) they would be demonstrating security within the ELGs and therefore be secure in 40 - 60 in the relevant aspects. This is because the end of 40 - 60+ is pitched at the ELGs as are the points numbered 4 - 8.

The developmental pitch is the key overlay between Dev matters and EYFSP outcomes.

Cx

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)