Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Senco

Hi all,

I am starting SENCO training in September!

Can anyone help as to what this involves as I am not really too sure! Are there any useful books, reading etc I can do/purchase that will help with this new role?

It really depends on the training provider. I did one last term that was one day a week for 8 weeks and we were guided through a power point presentation and worked together in groups. We didn't need to bring anything with us except the SEN guide which all settings have. We also had guest speakers and shared our experiences of working with SEN children. It wasn't that intense, fairly informal and we all had a good laugh!

ppp

Hi Sophie 123, firstly good luck on your training. Another useful publication is the good beginnings, your setting should have a copy for you to have a look at. All other literature that you may need should be given to you when you go, except a copy of your own settings policy on Special Needs /additional needs, again your setting should beable to give you a copy.

I know when i first did my SENCO training it felt quite daunting, but it's actually a fantastic time to network with other provisions, and how to access support and guidance. :o

Hi all,

I am starting SENCO training in September!

Can anyone help as to what this involves as I am not really too sure! Are there any useful books, reading etc I can do/purchase that will help with this new role?

Hi sophie which area the country do you work with as i have been asked to do the senco training Marshie

It would be really interesting to compare and contrast what training is on offer for SENCos or Inclusion Co-ordinators in different authorities. I would be prepared to place a small wager that there is a wide variety in content.

Maz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments, they have been really useful. :o

Thanks Marion, I have ordered a copy of the SEN toolkit and am waiting for it to arrive.

I am doing my training in London, Middlesex. I start by doing a level 1, then 2, 3 up to 6. I will be more than happy to put up some info up of what I have done in each session to see the comparison between different authorities.

Sophie

Hi,

I am currently doing the accredited SENCO training by City & Guilds. I am in Suffolk and my course is 6 full training days (1 per month) I am on day 5 going next week!

The course is really interesting. You have to build a portfolio for assesment, the bolk of it being a case study about a child you have/are supporting for additional needs. There is lots if criteria you have to meet, some of which is practical & supported by witness statements from parents/colleagues.

Hope you enjoy it, whatever your course entails

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)