Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Entry Data

You say children make lots and lots of progress in the first term could it be that tthey begin to settle and then show you what they really can do?

It is so important that we do not label children so early in their school career and I worry that by base lining children we are doing just exactly that!

Putting in a summative assessment at the end of the first term does not mean they will not continue to make progress and you can show you have added value to these children regardless as you have 5 more terms in which they can learn all sorts of things!!!!

Lorna

It could well be that they are settled, but I don't think that is always the case, many children will take much less time than 7 weeks to be secure and settled and showing what they can do, and it is sometimes obvious through things they have seen, heard, had modelled for them and focussed on that they are learning new things. I don' think it is for us to say that chn shouldn't be baselined or 'labelled' because we are the ones with our necks on the line becasue chn are only scoring x points at times of the years and have only made x points progress over the year. We are simply dealing with what we are given!

We have begun to move away from the FSP as entry data and towards the developmental matters months ranges- just this year so it'll take a while to do so completely because of the need to compare entry data over time between the year groups we have in our infant school. As far as I am aware there is no need to assess childen against the FSP until the end of Year R/FS2 but I'd hate to leave it all the Summer term!

This year I am using the attached form to record children's progress through the developmental stages, and updating their FSP records termly (in the middle of each term). I hope the attachment works, and you're welcome to use the form if it works for you. As I say, we're trialling it as a slimmed down version of something much more paper consuming that we used last year, so fingers crossed!

EYFS_Learning_Story.doc

We have begun to move away from the FSP as entry data and towards the developmental matters months ranges- just this year so it'll take a while to do so completely because of the need to compare entry data over time between the year groups we have in our infant school. As far as I am aware there is no need to assess childen against the FSP until the end of Year R/FS2 but I'd hate to leave it all the Summer term!

This year I am using the attached form to record children's progress through the developmental stages, and updating their FSP records termly (in the middle of each term). I hope the attachment works, and you're welcome to use the form if it works for you. As I say, we're trialling it as a slimmed down version of something much more paper consuming that we used last year, so fingers crossed!

Ok - call me dumb but just to clarify, is L/S/H stand for low, secure, high?

And - can I just take Disp & attitudes as an example, you show scale points 6,7,8, what about 4,5.

As I understood it, points 1,2,3 were 30-50 mths, so 40-60 mths cover FSP 4-8/9.

Yikes - getting scared about howmuch I have to learn as an NQT.

Cheers!

Ok - call me dumb but just to clarify, is L/S/H stand for low, secure, high?

And - can I just take Disp & attitudes as an example, you show scale points 6,7,8, what about 4,5.

As I understood it, points 1,2,3 were 30-50 mths, so 40-60 mths cover FSP 4-8/9.

Yikes - getting scared about howmuch I have to learn as an NQT.

Cheers!

Disposition and attitude points 4 and 5 are under self care heading.

Guest LornaW
...I don' think it is for us to say that chn shouldn't be baselined or 'labelled' because we are the ones with our necks on the line becasue chn are only scoring x points at times of the years and have only made x points progress over the year. We are simply dealing with what we are given!

missc I fully understand your concerns but unless we as a group of educated EY practitioners stand up for what we know is right some bureaucrat will continue to ask to see progress! The EPPE and KEEP research shows how much progress children make with highly qualified and appropriate provision in pre school. They didn't baseline but used obsertvations. Also we do not have to do anything with the profile until the end of Foundation Stage you need only read the handbook to see that is our only statutory duty. Of course we will want to show that children are progessing in our care and to settle well and begin to learn for me is great progress. Perhaps I am an idealist but so many of the SLT in schools asking for this data do not know what it means and use it only for data purposes and they need to understand. Even many of the Ofsted inspectors do not know what progress looks like in EYFS so ask for data.

Just recently I have been on a project with practitioners from PNI settings and during the project three of the settings had an Ofsted inspection and were deemed outstanding and non of it was becasue they had baselined their children it was becasue they had good interactions, good provision, children were happy and felt secure and they were oplanning for children's learning from what their observations had told them about the children. They were tracking but much more in the syle that marywilliam has mentioned here.

Surely education is more about feeding than weighing!

Lorna

To say a child is secure 30-50 mths or 40-60 mths for an area of learning, do they need to have a certain percentage of statements highlighted on devp matters list.

I have most of their nursery learnign journeys now, can see their strengths, some have most 30-50 mths statements highlighted, but not all for a given areas, then some 40-60 mths statements highlighted. What is everyone using to transfer this info onto. How are you determining they are securely in a particular age range per area of learning.

Hope I make sense.

And the L/S/H ?

sorry for delay in replying

Yes LSH = low, secure, high in line with our school Assessing Pupil Progress documentation - it just makes transition to Year 1 easier for us, and shows smallish amounts of progress too.

The profile point matching came from my LA advisors; as far as I can see all the 4-8's are covered under the elg row, 1-3's crop up in the earlier month bands and haven't been identified seperately - perhaps something to put in in the future if this works this year?!

So much to set in place at this time of year - and get to know the children too - I think everyone feels quite giddy at times.

• 1 month later...

i think i will keep this thread bookmarked!

there are so many people with fantastic knowledge that take the time to share...I know i would be really lost without it!

worryingly, it also shows me there are a huge amount of people (me included) that need more training/support!!

thanks all for the downloads - good to see what everyone is doing and how they are doing it!! just trying to get it to work for me now.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)