Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflective Journals

Hi,

I've been doing some reading about the Reggio approach and they talk about staff using a 'reflective journal' in each room.

Does anyone do this and...

When do you find time to record your thinking? What sort of things do you write and how does it feed back into the planning process?

From my reading it seemed that this was more to reflect staff thoughts than comment on children's abilities.

Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?????

I've only ever used a reflective journal for my personal learning, and to be honest I doubt that some of my practitioners would be confident enough or value it enough to contribute to a group journal. There is space on our planning to reflect on what has happened in the day and to carry things forward to the next, which is enough for us right now!

I think if you're in a setting that doesn't pack away each day you are more likely to be able to fit it into your day because you don't have that mad panic of getting everything back in the cuipboard once the children have gone.

Will be interested to hear if anyone is using this approach though.

Maz

We're packaway. We right a 'diary sheet' each day about what we did, what the children enjoyed etc. Not sure if this really counts as a reflective account as such- but I am trying to develop it a one. That said finding time to write it as a 'pack-away' is pure h**l!! There just isn't time to do it justice, but the parents [well some] enjoy reading it............but if I'm totally honest the best 'Diary sheets' are often written during the quite part of the session about an hour in!

xx

I would also be interested in hearing if anyone else out there is using these successfully as a whole staff. We are pack away and I'm trying to encourage all my staff to use them to form part of their appraisals as well as for them to build confidence, reflective practice and the ability to think on their feet! Just a small order then! My staff are very reluctant but I keep trying to point out that they might seem a bit of an ordeal initially but they will help them work smarter in the future. Any helpful pointers will be gratefully received!

I too am packwaway and i started last year a journal for the settig and staff

we take photos of activities, individual children outings etc

then with child in question we stick them in i note down what they say about the photo or what was happening at the time ( all the child's own words'

on a post it and along with any of my thoughts they get stuck in to the book

it is great to look back, it dos not get done daily its as and when because sometimes the child is not interested in sticking pictures in

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)