Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E215 Eca I Have To Resubmit!

Hi all,

just found out i have to resubmit my ECA, not sure what i didnt do well on, but is there any one thay can help me with this? My uncle had cancer, i took on a new job as pre school supervisor, had ofsted and juggling all this I had to finish off my studies. Now i have failed, has cost me my place at uni to finish off my degree, and my eyps placement. I cant actually describe how gutted I am. Is there any way someone could send me their assignment by any chance just so that I can see what I have to write etc. I have no idea and cant afford to waste another year, doing it all over again.

I really need some help with this.

Thanks guys x

Hi jenna

I think its really important that you find out why you failed. It may be something really simple and a bit of juggling here and there will soon sort you out. There must be a tutor or mentor that you can speak to, or some written feedback explaining the assessment criteria and indicating where you didn't meet it.

Are you sure that resubmitting this has put your place at uni and eyps on hold, and do you have a date by which you can resubmit? I'm sure that some places can let you continue whilst you also resubmit.

It sounds like you have had a really tough year, and you've done the best you could in the circumstances. Now that hopefully some of these events in your life are beginning to settle down, you can give more time and attention to whatever the future holds.

Take care

Mundia

I'm so sorry that you need to re-submit, jennac. I don't understand how the OU works so I'm not sure what amount of work would be necessary to re-submit your ECA. As mundia says, it sounds as if you've had a lot to contend with this year so perhaps it is inevitable that something had to give. Try not to be too hard on yourself.

Great advice from mundia about getting some constructive feedback on what you need to do to improve - otherwise you're working in the dark and it would be hard to know where to start.

Hopefully your tutor can point you in the right direction and get you started.

Maz

Hi all,

just found out i have to resubmit my ECA, not sure what i didnt do well on, but is there any one thay can help me with this? My uncle had cancer, i took on a new job as pre school supervisor, had ofsted and juggling all this I had to finish off my studies. Now i have failed, has cost me my place at uni to finish off my degree, and my eyps placement. I cant actually describe how gutted I am. Is there any way someone could send me their assignment by any chance just so that I can see what I have to write etc. I have no idea and cant afford to waste another year, doing it all over again.

I really need some help with this.

Thanks guys x

HI

First of all, whilst I recognise how gutted you must be may I suggest that you are not too hard on yourself.

I think you need to allow yourself the time to be upset and then 'come at it' again with a clear head and fresh, positive outlook. I realise it is easy for me to sit here and say that and please don't think I am making light of your situation. I have not had to resubmit but know how I felt when I didn't get the classification I wanted in my degree.

THe situation isn't perhaps as bad as you think the OU have 'two types of fail' - one is a straightforward 'fail' where the final marks don't meet the grade and the overall course result is a fail and the only option is to re-do the whole course. The second type and not nearly as bad is the 'fail entitled to resubmit' and I see this as more a case of not quite making the grade than a real fail!

You will receive feedback which should illustrate where you went wrong - it really can't be anything too major otherwise you would have failed full stop! You will also be offered the services of a tutor for your resubmission, whether this is the tutor you had for the course I am not sure. I don't think you have to completely rewrite your ECA, your 'downfall' will be in a particular part of the assignment and until you know whether it is ECA 1 or ECA 2 you are kind of in limbo really. The feedback form you receive for the ECA should be helpful, it is a series of tick boxes showing the 'level' you achieved so I reckon you will find something ticked in the 'bare fail' column - there is also additional written feedback which should explain more about what you missed. The other thing is you do not have to waste a year you will be given a resubmission date - I don't know when that will be for courses where the results have just been issued. I know that for courses where the ECA was due in October that the results came out in December and resubmissions were due in April.

Have you thought of staying with the OU? They had an 'offer' on whereby if you signed up for KE312 (the compulsory level 3 for BA in Early Years) and EYPS then you did ot have to pay the cost of KE312 but not sure if the offer is still on. You can top up to a full degree and do EYPS with the OU so maybe that is worth looking into.

SOrry you have had a tough year - for future reference the OU do operate a 'special circumstances' form which you submit with your final piece of coursework. The details are very precise and only certain issues are covered. The OFSTED, new job would not be relevant but the serious illness of a close family member would be. All the details are included in the pack you receive for submitting your examinable component. IF accepted the form details can be taken into account when your work is marked or sometimes you can get an extension for your examinable coponent. I got one last year when I came down with shingles towards the end of the course. I know this doesn't help now but maybe worth knowing for the future.

I haven't got my ECA saved on this computer and to be honest I am not wholly sure that seeing someone else's is the answer. I only say that because it is quite personalised espcecially where you refer to evidence documented in EYCLO's and RLO's and write about the presentation you gave to colleagues.

Hang on in there I am sure all will be well - when you have your feedback do shout I am sure there are many past and present OU students around who are only too happy to help.

For now be kind to yourself, take care and know that things will get better :o

Edited by Geraldine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)