Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents' Workshop

I'm doing a workshop for new reception parents in September about the EYFS. I'm going to do a presentation with a talk and a powerpoint, but I also wanted to have some hands on activities for parents to do to experience for themselves some of the ways we work in the foundation stage. I really would like to have at least some of it outside - I'd thought about some kind of problem solving type thing like using available resources to get water from one water tray to another some way away, maybe some art using found resources... not really sure and haven't quite got my brain into gear at the moment....

... so I wondered if you all had any exciting and briliant ideas? (I know you do - you always have!!!)

ooh sounds a fantastic idea - its far too early in the morning for me to think of any ideas but I'll put my thinking cap on!

I did something similar last year with various problem solving activities - I put out bats and balls etc with the instructions that they had to make up the rules to the game before they played it, we also had stuff out to create an obstacle course but they had to design it first with their child. I had match sticks out and they had to find five things smaller than the match stick and five things bigger than the match stick. We had art and craft stuff out and they had to create a superhero outifit, we used the sandpit as a river and explained that a crocodile lived in it - could they find a way to cross it without being eater, we had an activity where we explained that a bird had lost its nest and could they help build a new one.

that was loads and the parents loved it - at the end of the session my TA read a story and I gave the parents a set of the EYFS goals and asked them to mark off the ones they had evidenced. They were genuinely shocked at how many goals their children achieve in a short period of time.

Thanks for those great ideas. Definitely a brilliant idea to get them to self-assess against the ELGs. I love the idea of introducing them to gloop - maybe I could have a section of the session giving ideas of easy things to do at home, like gloop, a good playdough recipe... I'm doing this with the parents without their children, so do you still think the activities will be effective? I think its really exciting, but I can get a bit over-excited about playing and learning, so I'm not the best gauge of whether normal adults would appreciate it! :o

try not to make it too competitive because you'll get a load of dads competing and completely missing the point of the evening.

A friend always used to get out the large marble run for parents evenings just so the dads would get competitive to see who could use most components, who could build the tallest one etc. Lots of ELGs there! :o

A friend always used to get out the large marble run for parents evenings just so the dads would get competitive to see who could use most components, who could build the tallest one etc. Lots of ELGs there! :o

I have a vision of the dad's race at our village school. My DH and two of his mates got so competitive that they were within a whisker of going through a classroom window. They forgot why they were there totally.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'd be irritated if I were trying to get them to focus on ELGs and they were just being disruptive as they tried to outdo each other.

How good are you at controlling a roomful of rowdy adults, Emmajess? I know I'd be rubbish but I reckon Maz would have no problem xD

How good are you at controlling a roomful of rowdy adults, Emmajess? I know I'd be rubbish but I reckon Maz would have no problem :o

ummmmm.... not sure - but I'd like to give it a go!! I think that if I get the activities right it'll be fun and I'll be up to it! Rowdy enthusiastic adults I can cope with, but grumpy, wish-i-wasn't-here-this-is -silly-and-dull adults I don't want to have!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)