Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Ironic!

I've just experienced true irony... :o I wanted to attach a copy of the record of achievement that we use in Manchester to ask how it compares to others LEAs and suggest that it was a lot of paper work when it is just the teachers taking on the responsibility but its too big to attach!!

Is it just me or has the amount of stuff we're allowed to attach been reduced (Steve or somebody?) its only text-is it the format it's in? There are 11 more pages like this one.

Anyway, from this page as an example does it look similar to what you use? Also, those of you who fill in the eprofile do you do paper records as well? If not how are the stepping stones included? At the moment we use this ROA from N-R then our secretary transfers the profile points onto eprofile so it is solely used as a means of transfering data to the LEA. Does this sound like I'm wasting time when I could be doing it straight onto computer?

Better shut up anyway before I run out of space! xD

Zim

roa.doc

Hi Zim, I am in the middle to replying to your eprofile queries elswhere so i wont repeat myself here too, but i was wondering if your attachmenet had been scanned in to Word? Its pretty big for a word document and I couldnt think of any other reason.

PS what does LCT stand for? I'm sure it's obvious but I can't think of it!!

27778[/snapback]

Language for communication and thinking :o

Zim, that looks like a much more professional version of the sort of thing we are using. Our LEA doesn't yet support e-profile, and like you our Admin staff transfer info from our records to LEA.

I think that as we work in a Unit the profile on its own doesn't really work, we need the stepping stones added.

Thanks Catma, that is interesting-I like the idea of less paperwork! What does 'no need to complete more than one record' mean? (from your quote). I'm aware that we only need to have evidence for every single scale in Creative and Cll this year for the 3 children we have chosen but it seems that most people are collecting evidence in the form of post-its/photographs for all children but that these are just incidental. The trouble is, I haven't got incidental obsevations for every child this half term- I have a photo for each of them though, I wonder if this is enough?

Thanks for replying to the other post Mundina (I'll have a look tomorrow as tea's ready now!) I think you're right about that document being scanned-it comes in the form of a disc from the LEA and they dont have a word format. Shame as it would have been easier for us when we were cutting and pasting it into a class list.

Magenta, I think you're right about needing the stepping stones added. I just worry that there's this eprofile sitting there all year being wasted but like you say, the progression from n-r is important so it would be poinless using the profile on its own (just a lot less work for someone in June though if its already on pc!)

Zim :)

Zim,I take it to mean that you shouldn't be doing say a school's own assessment and an LEA profile and the optional scale booklet, many practitionrs are asked to duplicate the information all over the place. It's really for management to get the message I think. You would still be collecting samples/obs/photos etc but don't need masses of "evidence" to complete the profile.. That's how I understand it anyway but I'll be interested in the opinion of others or if they have had any LEA information re this message. There's some growing awareness that this is a lot of work and the powers that be are starting to respond to this feedback I think

Cx

Oh I see! I wonder if filling in targets and tracking sheets would count as 'more than one record'? Thats what our school wants us to do-its not THAT MUCH extra work but it's just yet anotherpiece of paper to fill in. Basically, they want to be able to track the children from Nursery to year 6 and have it all to the same format so that if anyone wants to see value added/progress they can at a glance. We have to set termly targets for 3 ability groups for Reading, writing and maths and then put all names on a tracking grid at the end of the year. This year I've been asked to make a teacher assessment for each child in reading, writing and maths and then put an actual score in and say whether they met/exceeded or didn't meet this target!! Its hard trying to explain to the assessment co-ordinator who is also the year 6 teacher that its not as easy as this in foundation. We agreed that I'd decide whether I would expect them to get eg6 profile points for writing and then put the real score in at the end of the year but its meaningless as the scores aren't cumalative. :o Not to fear though, I've arranged a meeting with the LEA/school management to try and clear things up. I know what they'll say-the ROA is your target but I know that no one in school will ever bother to look at it. The year one teacher will assess the kids herself within the first few weeks of meeting them in September and to be honest, although I put a lot of work into filling them in I don't blame her for not looking at them 1.She hasn't got time 2. They're a bit 'vague' and flat anyway in my opinion-lots of the children I sent up last year, for example, scored the same points but in reality were of very different ability.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)