Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Strategies Reception

Hi there everyone and wahoooo last day tomorrow!!!

I'm in reception next year and I really am looking forward to it. Just wondring off the top of your eads what do ou guys do out there to manage behaviour. Apparently there are a few challenging boys and girls, so any tips, advice awards, sanctions that you have in plce tht are working would love to hear from yu. Ive used in the past..." Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the quietest of them all/smartest of them all. Tht worked really well in ks 1. The present rec teacher who will be retiring, hd two chairs placed inbetween hers for when members of her class were misbehaving during whole class carpet input, with a sad face stuck to the chair. Chn misbehaving sat on them.

Antyhing at all, gestures, actions, little lines, posters would be very much appreciated

xxxx

I've seen a teacher use two plates, one with a smiley face and one with a sad face. Each child has a clothes peg with their name on it.... and at the beginning of the day all the pegs are on the smiley face (like spiky hair) and then if a child misbehaves their peg is moved to the sad face...

Good luck!

A fully enabling learning environment that is using their interests and fascinations to support curriculum delivery goes a long way. And looking at preferred learning spaces for different groups like your boys.

Boredom and frustration can quickly become behaviour issues if these are not considered.

Cx

Guest LornaW

Hi popcorn I am sure you will love working in reception!

In my experience if the curriculum is right you should have very few behaviour problems and believe me i have worked in some very challenging areas with challenging children. Make sure you have good access to indoor and outdoor and that you use the first few weeks to observe the children and see where their interests lie and then provide opportunities for the children within these interests.

I wouldn't have a happy or sad chair I would start with discussing feeling and you may like to look at the Box Full of Feelings from Leuven. Work with the children to set ground rules and then discuss what the consequences will be if the rules are broken. I alwys give the children a warning that they are breaking a rule so for example if we have agreed that after the bells have been rung we will all tidy up and some children are not then I will make a point of telling them that their behavour is not acceptable as they are not doing what was agreed.

I also use Conflict Resolution with the children and High/Scope have a wonderful DVD on this as well as a book called You Can't Come to My Birthday Party which has every kind of behaviour you are likely to encounter with exaples of how to deal with it.

All of this said I would go back to my first statement get the curriculum right for the child and you will not have any problems.

Enjoy reception and have a great summer break.

Lorna

Thankyou all for your support, will definaetly look at the environment and tailor it to individual chn. Hghscope seems to be mentioned alot aswell latey. Will read further into that.

thanks all, very much appreciated xxx

Apprently one of the chn coming up, permanently puts his hands over his ears, and shakes head shouting, i;m not doing what you told me to do...and refuses. Any suggestions there. xxx

Guest LornaW
Apprently one of the chn coming up, permanently puts his hands over his ears, and shakes head shouting, i;m not doing what you told me to do...and refuses. Any suggestions there. xxx

In your first few weeks popcorn I am assuming you will have lots of child initiated timme so you can get to see what children enjoy playing with and at. This child then will have some choices and so this behaviour may not be so pronounced. Remember that is what he does in that environment and coming to your reception class he has a new chance so keep it loose, see what he likes and negotiate. Confrontation is what often leads to the type of behaviour described. Also he is only young and reception lasts for a year!

Sometimes people think that by letting children make the chiice they are 'getting away with it' but of course that is not the case the adults have equiped the environment and you know all of the learning opportunities that are there so giving them child initiated is not a cop out - play is a child's work'!!!!!

Good luck.

Lorna

Thankyou hugely for that Lorna.

Yes I was thinking in the first half term to concentrate mainly on PSE and develop children's listening, social skillls through circle times, snack, table top games social situations etc. Its nice to have it reiterated that play is 'not a cop out'.

You have definaetly instilledsome more confidence in me. Thankyou very much

xxx

I guess the first few weeks is all about going over and over boundaries set and classroom rules together and displaying them at chiolds height. I'm sure it will be fine

xx

Guest LornaW
I guess the first few weeks is all about going over and over boundaries set and classroom rules together and displaying them at chiolds height. I'm sure it will be fine

xx

Yes popcorn it is and if you don't do that then you can be scuppered for the rest of the year. I would say that first new term is all about routines and getting to know one another. Crickey whne i moved in to my new job 4 years agao I thought i was a confident person but it took me nearly a year to get used to everything and i was over 50 so what must it be like for four and five year olds!!!!

Enjoy and look back here in a year and tell us all how well it has gone!

Lorna

Ah thankyou Lorna, what do you think of this idea, i have two keystage 2 members of staff coming into F1, THEY BOTH want to work with each other. I'm not to sure about this one as neither has early years experience yet. Shouldnt we have teacher from KS2 AND then a Nuresery Nurse together. IAT SEEMS daft to put ks2 teacher with KS2 Teaching ass together. Apparently they want to work together

xxx

Guest LornaW
Ah thankyou Lorna, what do you think of this idea, i have two keystage 2 members of staff coming into F1, THEY BOTH want to work with each other. I'm not to sure about this one as neither has early years experience yet. Shouldnt we have teacher from KS2 AND then a Nuresery Nurse together. IAT SEEMS daft to put ks2 teacher with KS2 Teaching ass together. Apparently they want to work together

xxx

I agree with you completely then the person with the experience can support the other. I know it sounds harsh but we are there for the good of the children and while the two members may wish to work to you need to put in place what will benefit the children.

Lorna

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)