Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Questions And Suggestons Please

Lorna

Hello

I have seen a vacancy come up for a Deputy Head in a local school... the want someone to set up a foundation stage unit.... it has really interested me... not 100% sure i want to be a deputy head however.

My main reason for posting is that on wednesday I am going to go and have a look around and get a feel for the place and I have been advised to ask lots of questions.

What should I be asking???

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Lorna

OH Lorna, that sounds exciting and interesting!

Enjoy your visit and take your lead from the head (presumably it will be she/he showing you around?) I think you will soon find out the questions you want to ask, if any and get a feel for the job. Obviously the more info you can get at this stage will give you more to write about should you decide to apply.

You will want to know the school ethos, will you fit in? The role of the deputy and responsibilities and the current situation re FS and what they hope to do exactly.

Mundias advice is sound in this respect and Ill point her yourway later!!

Good luck.

What is their vision for the unit, how will it be managed?

you would presumably be DH for the whole 3 - 11 age range so what would that entail? If not (or even if)

What is the management structure of the school, who would you line mangage? Who do you report to? What is the Job Description?

Non contact time for DH duties as well as PPA?

what other management duties might you have: subjects /assessment/EMA/Attendance/behaviour management etc etc.

In my experience if it moves as DH you are generally responsible for it! Staffing and ratios?

What are their current EY's policies realting to curriculum planning, assessment, reporting, etc. How do they work in N and R? is it "different" or do they build on the experiences etc ?

What requirements will there be for meetings after school, FS Team/staff/SMT - I had 3 meetings a week and as I worked 4 days it seriously cut down what i could do in terms of work in my class after school. As DH i was also "On tap" to other staff, so my work sometimes had to take a back seat if something else cropped up, or I had to deal with a school issue in the heads absence.

I would consider that as DH of a primary in the heads absence you would be responsible for the day to day management of the whole school, not just the FS.

Ask how the school manages induction of new staff at whatever level. Will they support you with NPQH?

It sounds exciting but I would get the full picture of what they would expect as if it is DH for the whole school there will be other expectations.

Have a good visit and let us know what it was like!! :o

Hi Lorna, well good on you if its the progression you want to make. Great advice there already from Catma in terms of all the other things that a DH has to do these days. I have to say gut repsonse is that creating (and working in) a FS unit AND being a DH sounds like a very tall order for one person., unless possible the school is very small? Our DH is non class based but apart from being repsonsible for the school in the Heads absence she is also repsonsible for assessment, students, dinner staff, support staff, target teaching and booster groups, buildings manager, satff absence, and staff training. And those are just the things I know about!!

I think it would be quite important for you to know how much your role as DH would encompass all these other things rather than just settng up a unit. (which in itself is a full time job). Perhaps you will have the chance to talk to the current deputy about their roles, or perhaps it is a school that had 2 deputies.?

I would certainly consider writing your questions down so that you can refer to them if you need to.

Good luck though, Im sure we would all love to hear how you get on.

Thanks for the replies

The school is a small infant school with I think about 120 children and a 60 place nursery.

I will definitely have a good look around and use some of the questions above.

I will let you know how i get on.

Lorna