Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tax Credits To Be Paid Directly To The Childcare Provider

Hi everyone,

I have just put a suggestion on the Government's Spending Challenge webiste (see link below). They are asking how they can cut spending and I have suggested that paying the providers directly for tax credits that SHOULD be paid to providers towards fees (which are frequently not), is a good way of them saving money and preventing fraud.

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/

I know this has been campaigned for before and that the argument is that the parents would feel it was an invasion of their privacy for us to know how much they were being helped, but if they are commiting fraud by not paying their fees to us but spending it elsewhere, our our rights of not being paid for a service we delivery being abused.

I would appreciate it if everyone would comment and tag this link which I have put under the benefits tag and called it

Tax Credits to be Paid Directly to the Childcare Provider

so you can search for it and make a comment.

I think this is a problem for all providers and it needs sorting, especially given the sustainability of childcare given the extended 15 hours funding for which the money given by the Government is not going to meet the cost of provision.

Yes I posted it under the Benefits tab. There is so much on there it probably is difficult to find. Did you put the exact phrase into the search box.

I don't know how useful that site is going to be as I think you could be reading for ever. I think the site is already overloaded.

Like you say it is a shame so many people aren't using it properly as otherwise it could have been a really good way to get sensible ideas across. Thanks for taking the time anyway.

I put exactly the same thing on. I think it is shameful that parents get away with what in my mind is fraud. We have had people come in and get the forms signed and then we never hear from them again. The nurseries should be able to list children attending to govt and then get the money themselves. I had one parent who we kicked out for non payment scan a letter with our header on, claim to tax credits she had 2 children in full time. This is costing the tax payer a fortune. They are basically supplementing their income to many hundreds/thousands of pounds.

Sorry to all genuine people who do pay us but a lot dont and get away with it. They should be charged with tax fraud.

• 1 month later...

I have just heard from a fellow childminder that one of her parents was claiming £150 extra a week to what her actual fees are. The parent has now gone in to panic mode as they have asked for receipts for the last year and has contacted the childminder asking for confirmation that the children attend and what are their fees!! She had the cheek to ask the childminder to cover for her and lie about what she has paid!! Surely they must review this system as this is happening all over the country :o

Tink69

Edited by Tink69

Trouble is that if you are honest - you would lose the parent!!

As a professional there is no way I would help someone like this even if I did lose the parent as at the end of the day they are commiting a crime and you would be helping them!! They are claiming extra every week to pay for their own bills/food etc which comes from our taxes. :o

Tink69

The problem with the fees going direct to the provider is that

a) a family may use several providers

:o I imagine the hold ups and delays at the beginning and end of a contract would be difficult to deal with

c) it would be a lot of paperwork to ensure that payments in to each provider each month are correctly labelled so that the provider can work out how much fees remain

The problme of fraud could be more easily solved by asking for reciepts!

Guest jenpercy

At the moment if the family don't pay what they owe you, the tax people aren't interested. how do you know they didn't pay money to another setting? Er, because they were full time with me. They don't even investigate if you tell them you weren't paid - only their random sample