Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dvd For Parents

Ok every year I do a DVD for the parents of children leaving with all photos taken in the setting over the year. I get their permission then we showed it at leavers assembly before giving a copy to each parent.

Feedback is past really lovely. Parents crying etc

Today parent complained about a picture of their son in a dress how can we show grandparents. He was not the only boy in a dress.

Explained that all children included etc.

what do you think should i delete all photos of boys in dresses or playing with dolls when i do it again next year.

Buttercup

I am thinking of doing this this year

Now I have one or two pics I wouldn't include as one young child is sitting on a bikini

But have you included all pictures or just group photos?

Personally I wouldn't let one opinion put you off and it shows your inclusive

OKay I'm ready to get shot down here!!#

I wouldn't stop any boy from putting on dresses when they are playing - absolutely. I wouldn't though take photographs of them. and if my staff do i don't print them off. I have little doubt the boys were enjoying their play, but many enjoyable incidents in pre-school go un-recorded everyday or are not photographed.

I would say this - I have 3 of my own boys - now men - and knowing how they tease each other over their past exploits - such as ballet/tap classes, if they had photographic evidence as well - goodness knows what they would do with it :)

Boys dressing up is a harmless pursuit, we know that in our line of work, but many parents/grandparents have a different take on this and, yes, maybe they should be "educated" but at this time of year when emotions are high - is it worth the agro?

thanks for that panders I do take on board what you say. Will have to speak to staff next year and see what we will do.

Had lots of good feeback from parents today. How lovely it is to see what the children actually do at setting.

Buttercup

I agree with Panders. This is one I've had to deal with several times. In the past I've asked parents about putting photos like these in children's special books before doing so - we need to consider the feelings of parents about how their child is portrayed and the issues photographs such as these might raise within the wider family.

Some parents invest a lot of emotional energy into what they want their children to be and someone who is very keen that their son will grow up to be a big strapping rugby player just like dad may well struggle to cope when their little boy shows more than a passing interest in all things pink and glittery. Imagine how compounded those feelings might be when confronted by an image of their son dressed in a princess outfit for all the other parents and families to see? Some parents I know would probably have an emotional melt-down on the spot.

We do have a responsibility to 'educate' parents who are concerned about these issues of gender identity and explain that just because a boy is attracted to the girlie dressing up clothes at three it doesn't necessarily mean he will be a transvestite or gay as an adult. However I feel that suddenly seeing an image like this - however innocent and joyous to our trained eyes - may make a parent feel embarrassed and humiliated at a public event and would have exactly the opposite effect of what we were trying to achieve.

It just goes to prove that you can't please all the people all the time, and it is unfortunate that in doing something so lovely for parents, Buttercup has received a complaint about a very small part of the DVD. However it does give the rest of us an opportunity to think about the issues involved, and how we might approach this in our own settings.

Glad you've had such good positive feedback from everyone else Buttercup - what have you said to the parent who complained, just out of interest?

Maz

I wrote them a letter saying I am sorry it has upset them. All the children in our setting are able to choose what activities they want and have taken on board their concerns. I did them a knew DVD with that photo taken off it. Handed it to dad today and he said Thankyou very much for doing it his wife was very upset.

Its a lesson learnt will have to consider what goes on next years one and like you said what goes in learning journal.

Buttercup

I wrote them a letter saying I am sorry it has upset them. All the children in our setting are able to choose what activities they want and have taken on board their concerns. I did them a knew DVD with that photo taken off it. Handed it to dad today and he said Thankyou very much for doing it his wife was very upset.

Its a lesson learnt will have to consider what goes on next years one and like you said what goes in learning journal.

Buttercup

Well done, sensitively handled and what a lovely example of reflective practice for your SEF :o

Nona