Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It Gets Worse!

Hi

Well things are getting worse,,

Background is i am new commitee member of out of school club.

Temp manager , deputy ,3 qualified staff and 2 unqualified. Manager on maternity leave said she didnt want to come back. Deputy resigned (before grievance).Temp manager didnt want job as suffered at hands of staff (deputy and 2 qualified staff, no training etc). New Comm advertised for 2 months only got 1 application (good wage I add!) but she declined interview at last minute. New chair and myself asked temp manager to reconsider, we assured her we would train her, get systems in place for OFSTED as last visit was 4 and half years ago. She accepted. One qualified staff made deputy.

Starting to put things in place...polices still say national standards, first aid certs due to expire, no inductions, appraisals been done, health declarationsetc etc We have manged to get started ,done an ation plan, and donelots in last couple of months. However staff have been getting away with all sorts. New manager was starting to step up her authority.

One qualified handed notice in last week after being here 10 yrs saying she wanted to retire. Not been to work since, says she is sick altho manager called her to ascertain when she thought she would be back but was told she was out!

Today deputy due appraisal she turned up 20 mins late and said she hated it now and was going to hand her notice in tom!

We had already made the decision to advertise for another lev 3 playworker now will have to recruit another. Dont know how we are going to be with all these CRBs and not being left alone with children as half staff wont be checked if we have to recruit 2 new staff. Especially as we are still waiting managers crb check through OFSTED which was sent 9 months ago!

Plus on top of all this my previous posts says we are expecting 2 SEN children. Only the manager would now be suitable, need to get in additional staff for that etc etc. I just dont think we can cope with this extra requirement.

I feel so sorry for manager. Me and the chair are trying to get things sorted meanwhile trying to get comm to step up (half have yet to complete EY2 form), more concerned about parent noticeboard position.

Parent questionnaire said staff never talk to them, even to say hello etc etc and the new manager had asked staff to make more of an effort.

Anyway thats the lot! I am hoping we get some new staff soon but must admit im not holding out for it.....AARRRRRRRGGGHHHHH....

Do I feel better??!!!

So sorry to hear it is tough at the moment, as i really don't know much about the running of out of school clubs, i am unable to offer much advice i'm afraid, but like in early years is there no one to advise on some of the matters that you and your group find yourself in, are you on a school site [ maybe the head] ?, or affiliated to a larger body?

I do have a friend that runs a club will enquire and get back to you.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems have been through lots of them myself.

Could you please clarify your current staffing situation

Do you have a manager

How many level 2/3s

How many unqualified

How many children are you getting per session

PM me info if you prefer

Hi

Well chair has seen deputy and asked her to rethink the situation! Not sure this was the best thing but cant interfere now!

Yes we now have manager, at lev 3, deputy is lev 3, got qualified at lev2 (starts lev 3 sept),unqualified (starts lev 2 sept) and we are also looking at getting another lev 3/2 and unqualified bank staff. Problem would be the time it takes to recruit round here (rural setting). 4 weeks notice is not enough for us to find someone for them to then work their notice. I suppose I could cover some session short term (mon-wed) if needed (i am lev 3 qualified but pre-school....better than nothing!). We can have up to 40 children per session.

Think the problem is recruiting playworkers...just arent any around. Anyone else find this?

Edited by marley

Guest tinkerbell

Yes Marley we are in thesame position!

A school with an afterschool club and the co-ordinator is level 2 and needs to train for level 3,she has just got married and decided not to do the training but would stay withus until new person appointed..she has a degree (lit) and an old fashioned child care qualification and she is brilliant.

We have aske d atthe local collage amd advertised but there are no takers????

Yes Marley we are in thesame position!

A school with an afterschool club and the co-ordinator is level 2 and needs to train for level 3,she has just got married and decided not to do the training but would stay withus until new person appointed..she has a degree (lit) and an old fashioned child care qualification and she is brilliant.

We have aske d atthe local collage amd advertised but there are no takers????

So not just us then! Anyway deputy decided she is resigning and leaves end of term....arrgghhhh!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)