Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Sick - Help

hi - wondered if anyone could help? we have a member of staff on long term sick after a car accident - she is receiving physio and now going to see a chiropracter - she has been off since march and we are struggling to cover her sessions of three days - we do not know when she will be back -she is due to send in another sick note this week. our problem is that we dont know whether she will ever be fit enough to come back to work due to her injuries - do we have to keep waiting ( for sorry for her but it is really hard for everyone else ) until she is fit to return to work or can we give her a review date thinking about whether then we let her go?

does that make sense / any help / ideas would be great thanks x

I will be interested to hear replies for this too - I am in a similar situation - my member of staff has been off since March too with stress and we are struggling indefinitely -it is so stressful for me! She doesn't know whether she dill return or not or string out sickness for ages -I am giving her all our support wholeheartedly but it is difficult.

I too found myself in a situation very similar to these some years ago. I rang ACAS for advice as to how best proceed. They were very helpful, but the process was long winded and this can be a real problem for those who are small settings as providing cover can be a nightmare. However, ring ACAS and gat started. Luckily for me the person involved chose to resign just as we were about to start the "suitability for work" process, which saved a lot of heartache and time for us.

Guest jenpercy

You are entitled to ask for letter from doctorand ACAS have all the standard letters on thier website. After OFSTED the ACAS website is my second home (or I suppose that should be it's my third)

I think you should get occupational therapy involvement. There comes a point where they have to assess someone's suitability to return to work I think.