Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tractor Mad Child

What else can I do for a child who seems surgically attached to his tractor!

Dad is a farmer so understandable, but recently it is all he will play with. Has been interested in all sorts of things before, but now the tractor comes in with him in the morning and doesn't leave his side.

We have transported, counted, added (wheels on two tractors etc) I printed out pics to colour, talked about red tractor week we have sown seeds planted potatoes.

He goes to school in September so it could be a comfort thing but I'm concerned because he won't be encouraged to take in large toys at school.

Any ideas welcome

Rachel

can he draw a picture of one on the computer, or paint a picture of it? Use the wheels to make a roadway painting then draw the fields with animals in?

I'll keep thinking

Live in a very rural setting and have a few tractor mad boys and my own daughter has a current tractor obsession - she's two!

So far have had a mechanics, a vehicle wash, a tractor shop selling the tractor! Made one boy a book with pictures of tractors off the internet 1 red tractor 2 blue tractors 3 green tractors etc. Running the tractors through paint etc. Weaving tractor through cones, how many things can you balance on the tractor before they topple etc.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies.

I actually wrote a note to parents in the home school diary to say what was going on and suggested maybe we could have a tractor free day?

This seemed to be just what was needed as they have been trying to get him out of the door without the tractor for weeks as they know he won't be able to take it to school. With us all working together it really helped.

So Tuesday he came in without it, bit fed up especially as some other children had brought in trucks etc but he joined in with so many other things! It was great to see. After a while he used other children trucks outside to move gravel saying he was a builder, so we got out drainpipes and the tools and he spent time transporting gravel and then spreading it flat with the drainpipes.

On Thursday I've got large sheets of paper so that he can have a go drawing plans.

When his mum collected on Tuesday she said 'Maybe we can make it a tractor free week!'

Thanks again

Rachel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)