Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Use Is Data Protection Agency

Guest jenpercy

Guest jenpercy

Am just filling in an interminable Business plan for grant purposes ie one with lots of meaningless questions that don't actually advance my planning one bit. I jut typed in that we ar registered with DPA - and then i thought OK what is it for. My conclusion that it is a tax on businesses with a computer.

My conclusion that it is a tax on businesses with a computer.

Well that's a point of view. I guess it depends whether you trust everyone to handle your personal data correctly and ensure that only those who are authorised to see your personal details are able to access it.

Perhaps your £35 a year gives some measure of confidence to your service users that you are complying with your legal responsibilities.

Maz

The Data Protection Act is quite complex and for many of us only small parts of it at relevant. I

agree with Maz that knowing that someone is registered is a reassurance that the business is, hopefully, adhering to the principles of data protection. We may deal with very sensitive information working with families and children. I would feel reassured that my information is kept secure and private, and that if it isn't I can take action against the organisation. I also think that it is good that we have a right to see what information is held about us. I can see why paying £35 each year is a charge upon charities and small businesses, but it does afford some protection.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/da...ion_basics.aspx