Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time Taken For Suncream

Hi

Just wondered what other settings are finding..

We are all day care and have permissions for suncream, children labelled suncreams, playgroup suncream for those that dont bring it, sun hats always available.

We ask parents dropping off if they have applied suncream if not then we get them to apply before they leave.

We have children leave us to go to school nursery in afternoon....we apply suncream (Nursery school wont do it..in fact does any school help apply suncream???)

We have children arrive from school nursery in the afternoon ......we apply suncream before going out

We have children with us all day...we apply suncream

It is taking 2 staff out of the room (so to speak) to apply suncream approx 20 mins before we go out!! How do others cope with this?

Manager is thinking that from sept we say that we expect parents to apply "once" from soltan so that we do not need to be doing this.

I understand the duty of care etc but a lot of parents dont even bother to apply before coming in.

Any views?

We have a similar problem, although I'm in a Reception class. We are not 'allowed' to apply suncream but the children are unable to do it themselves (they look like snowmen if left to their own devices!) So I squirt the cream and they rub it in. This is also time consuming and I have the same problem of parents not applying it before school. I am sending a letter out this week to say that they need to apply cream that will last all day before school, as it is not feasable to put cream on every child before they go outside.

Rosie

Guest jenpercy
We have a similar problem, although I'm in a Reception class. We are not 'allowed' to apply suncream but the children are unable to do it themselves (they look like snowmen if left to their own devices!) So I squirt the cream and they rub it in. This is also time consuming and I have the same problem of parents not applying it before school. I am sending a letter out this week to say that they need to apply cream that will last all day before school, as it is not feasable to put cream on every child before they go outside.

Rosie

I have never been ablle to understand why staff can't apply suncream in front of all the other children and other staff. I have also heard of a child who burnt badly in stripes due to not being able to apply it proerly herself.

'Apply yourself to re-apply!' That's the rule. Sunscreen won't last all day.

Doesn't solve your time problem though. So if they can't 'Slop' effectively, then 'Slipping' and 'Slapping' are the options short of keeping them inside between 11 and 3. You have appropriate hats and most parents will send one so applying a 'No hat, No play!' policy shouldn't be a problem. String up some sheets or shade cloth over the play area. Also insist on long sleeved Summer shirts. Think I'll be crawling the charity shops for shirts this week for some spares.

I'm a bit of a pedant about sun care so hope doesn't sound too draconian.

Fe

We don't apply suncream but INSIST on hat and shoulders covered before being allowed out. We will change children who come in strappy tops. We also keep children in if too hot - afternoon session starts at 12.30 and bring them in in the morning by 11. We are trying to fundraise for a canopy so that we can go out for longer next year.

korkycat

Guest Spiral

This is an interesting one.

We ask all parents to apply suncream before they come in, however, unless the parent tells us they have put suncream on, we put suncream on the children.

They are all happy to wait for their turn. We do it in view of each other and all of the staff feel strongly that the children should have it applied to them by a staff member.

We had a child who was hospitalised for a few weeks after they became sunburnt when out with their parents, the child's skin has never recovered and they are at a much higher risk of devloping skin cancer.

The skin cancer website has loads of info and scary facts;

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/melanoma...enting-melanoma

Spiral.

We take the sun cream bag outside with us and apply it outside so at least no time is wasted inside. Everyone is done in first 10 minutes so not long enough for anyone to burn.

Staff use wipes between creams to avoid cross-creaming and allergies!

We take the sun cream bag outside with us and apply it outside so at least no time is wasted inside. Everyone is done in first 10 minutes so not long enough for anyone to burn.

Staff use wipes between creams to avoid cross-creaming and allergies!

Problem with this is suncreen needs to be applied at least 15 to 30 mins before exposure to work... needs to be absorbed into the skin..

How to apply sunscreen

Inge

and please please observe all children you apply sunscreen to.. just because they have used the same one before does not mean they will not develop an allergic reaction to it .. it can happen at any time. (I had one where mum applied it, and on her way in ended up in A&E instead of with us as her child reacted to the sun cream. It was one she had always used which was one for children/sensitive skins etc. )

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)