Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Led Weaning Or Blw

Jester

Hi,

I would be really interested in other peoples thoughts about baby led weaning and how it is dealt with in settings. For those who aren't familar with it here is a link http://babyledweaning.com/ I found out about it on a baby forum I used and alot of the other mums on there said that nurseries were unsupportive and would not allow it due to nursery policies on no finger foods in the babyroom, thats why I would like to know what people on here thought and how their settings work with it.

I weaned my daughter this way from 6 months and she took to it really well, she now eats a variety of foods and is able to use a spoon and fork at 14 months. I have been very lucky with my childminder as she has been very supportive of this and thinks it's great that my little one has fed herself from such a young age. I know it isn't everyones cup of tea but it has worked for us really well.

I look forward to reading your opinions.

Edited by Jester

When I was a brand new mum I weaned my baby by the book and failed miserably. The baby gagged at everything (turned out to be a ENT problem which he grew out of). Ended up just giving finger food to the disgusted looks of my mummy cohort.

With my second child the suggested weaning age had gone up from four months to six and weaning was easier, but I still didn't feel that I got it right.

Now...as an experienced mum and childminder, the babies generally eat what the other children do but I take the opportunity to show the oldies that spiniach and pumpkin are edible.

Must say babies need a licence to drive the yoghurt spoon though..

hi

My only comment is that in recent months at my childrens centre many mums are asking about baby led weaning/doing it.

I have ordered a book about it I think by Gill Rapley!!

interesting? i was trying to think of any other culture that starts their children with whole foods. Most older cultures would start with softer foods after weaning ( which of course is much later than in english culture) then move quickly to sucking/chewing on whole foods but this is done sitting on mums/siblings laps under strict control. It sounds to me that more research needs to be done in this area first....there also seems to be a strong link to breastfeeding which may not be available in the nursery setting.

I do have a problem with the policy of no finger foods in the nursery...for LOTS of reasons! :o

When I was a brand new mum I weaned my baby by the book and failed miserably. The baby gagged at everything (turned out to be a ENT problem which he grew out of). Ended up just giving finger food to the disgusted looks of my mummy cohort.

With my second child the suggested weaning age had gone up from four months to six and weaning was easier, but I still didn't feel that I got it right.

Now...as an experienced mum and childminder, the babies generally eat what the other children do but I take the opportunity to show the oldies that spiniach and pumpkin are edible.

Must say babies need a licence to drive the yoghurt spoon though..

:o

have to agree with you on that one!

I never followed BLW to the letter- I never made up lots of purees but she did have the odd organix pot meal spoonfed when she was younger mainly if I was busy or we were out somewhere. I think with any sort of weaning it pays to do your own take on it My fellow mummy friends thought I was insane for doing it but out of all the children mine is the least fussiest and rarely gags on food. I do agree though as a first time mum you feel you should do whatever the health visitor or book tells you to do, I only found out about this through the internet.

hi

My only comment is that in recent months at my childrens centre many mums are asking about baby led weaning/doing it.

I have ordered a book about it I think by Gill Rapley!!

Yes, the book is excellent, mine has been thumbed by most of the the health visiting team in my area.

interesting? i was trying to think of any other culture that starts their children with whole foods. Most older cultures would start with softer foods after weaning ( which of course is much later than in english culture) then move quickly to sucking/chewing on whole foods but this is done sitting on mums/siblings laps under strict control. It sounds to me that more research needs to be done in this area first....there also seems to be a strong link to breastfeeding which may not be available in the nursery setting.

I do have a problem with the policy of no finger foods in the nursery...for LOTS of reasons! xD

The original research that was done by Gill Rapley suggested that it is not a new fangled thing and that as you suggest other cultures have been doing similar for many years. There is a strong link to breastfeeding for this type of weaning but I know a few mums who bottle feed whose babies have been very successful with it.

Thank you, for your thoughts on this, I find it really interesting to hear from a professional point of view instead of just a mums point of view.