Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Issues

I have been doing my staff rotas for next year and it has been a bit more stressful than usual as we have a fairly low number of preschoolers for next year and so staff numbers in each session will have to be less.

I basically deciced it by what people said to me, eg "I must have 16 hours because of benefits" or "I don't mind, whatever".

They all took the hours and said they were fine, to my face.

Then I start hearing all the moans secondhand. There has been a bit of a festival of bitching and crying apparently. Not one word of it to my face.

So the question is, do I just ignore anything done behind my back? Do I take them all at face value when they all said it was fine to me? Personally I would like to sack all the whingers and stick with the ones who said what they meant!

When is your next staff meeting? I would put it on the agenda and start off the discussion by simply saying something like "I spoke to you all before organising the rotas about your availability to work next year and have taken a lot of time and trouble to take your views and needs into account. However I understand that several of you are not happy with the resulting rota, although no-one has actually spoken directly to me about their concerns".

Then I'd say (1) So I'm sorry that I can't now change the rota because some people have changed their minds or (2) If you are unhappy and let me know why I will do my best to change the rota to take this into account or (3) If you would like to change your rota please speak to another staff member who may be willing to change with you (subject to having the right mix of qualified/unqualified/first aiders etc at each session, of course), depending on the situation I found myself in.

Personally, I would want to acknowledge that I was aware that there is unhappiness in the ranks, whilst telling everyone together that I had done all I could to prevent this situation in the first place. I'd want to make sure they knew how unhappy I was at the way people were behaving, whilst giving them a way of getting it sorted.

I don't envy you - I'm just lucky that I have such a small staff team!

Maz

i have found in the past that i'm always wrong and second guess what staff want and it has backfired, this year i made a slip for all staff with 3 questions for them to answer, they were 1) how many days would you like to work per week?(ideally) 2) are you wanting half days or whole days?(we are sessional) and 3) what days of the week would you prefer to work? this has given me a starting block to work on and as we go from needing 3 members of staff in sept while numbers are low to 4 per session around christmas i have made a staff rota that accomadates all there ideal wishes for the long term and what they will be having in september. i know how you must be feeling i go over and over it, i don't want to upset anyone and want to be as fair as possible but there has to be a happy medium and they should talk to you rather than among themselves as that wont solve anything but just creates a bad atmosphere for everyone. i hope you find a solution to your problem

This is a good idea debatwrittle - I do it for parents to tell me how many sessions they need for their child next term, so if I had a large team this would be a good way to do things. Then you've got something in writing.

Maz

has the same thing happened to you by any chance,

I haven't had anything exactly like Jane described happen to me, but I recognise her frustration at having people being less than honest and whinging behind her back. Also it is much easier to think about what I'd do in an ideal world when faced with a particular scenario rather than the reality of what I'd actually do in the same situation. :o

Maz

Thanks for your replies.

I have endless trouble with these two and the one who got the sessions that they are complaining about is a lovely hardworking woman who never makes any fuss and has major money problems at home when the two moaners are always going on about how well off they are. Which is probably why it gets me so irate.

Guest jenpercy
Thanks for your replies.

I have endless trouble with these two and the one who got the sessions that they are complaining about is a lovely hardworking woman who never makes any fuss and has major money problems at home when the two moaners are always going on about how well off they are. Which is probably why it gets me so irate.

maybe you should let them know that commitment counts in allocating sessions. Why should anyone hand out sessions to those who just do the minimum to get by. Am i bitter YES!

Totally sympathise with you. whenever you try to keep everyone happy the only one you end up missing out is yourself!!!

I bet it took you ages to account for their wishes and i bet if it was a child they were looking after displaying this behaviour say over choice of cups they'd probably turn round and say "but that's the one you chose"!!!!!

Could you give the figures and requests to them and see what they would organise - maybe then they would see its not as easy as you make it look.

It is my pet hate "Bitching staff" If they would only come to me instead of talking to everyone else. They only have to come back to me in the end!!!!!!!

It seems to rumble as well and gets worse as the day goes on. they all take great delight in telling me that someone else is not happy but never themselves. :oxD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)