Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunchtime Menus

Hi :D

Does anyone know any good recipes for children's hot lunches.

I am revamping our menu's and looking for traditional, nutritional, affordable and tasty recipes.

We have the general spag bol, fish pie, sweet and sour, curry etc but also processed foods such as fish fingers, sausages, pizza which i am replacing.

I would really appreciate some vegetarian ideas too :)

Also, do you know of any good websites with recipes and info about portion control.

Many Thanks

P.s Anyone know of a cook looking for work in South East Hampshire.... (job has been advertised for three months ~ no applicants) :o

oh Lucy have we been watching Jamie olivers school dinners ...fab programme...sorry im not helping am i.

what about baked potatoes, home made quiches, shepherds pie, mild chili con carne, vegitarian burgers, cheesy pasta.... :D:D:D

We have just joined Stockport's Healthy Snack scheme. A child's size portion should be enough food to fit in their hand.

One of the recipes is

Pasta twists with summer sweet vegetables gratin

Serves 4

175g pasta twists (dried)

340 packet frozen vegetables such as summer sweet vegetables, a mix of petit pois, red pepers and sweetcorn

1 can of mixed beans or chick peas drained

1 small can chopped tomatoes

Some mixed herbs, fresh or frozen

60g cheddar cheese grated

2tbsp sunflower oil

1 medium onion finely chopped

Cook the pasta according to the instructions and drain. In a separate pan fry the onion in the oil. Add the mixed beans and lightly cook for 5 minutes. Add the mixed vegetables, tomatoes, cooked pasta and herbs. Cook for 5 minutes or until the pasta is hot. Place in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with cheese and place under a preheated grill until golden brown. Serve with a green salad.

Sound good? And vegetarian too!

Linda

I am just so glad I don't have to plan children's lunches as well as everything else! We do a lunch club, but since the children bring in their own packed lunches, our involvement is limited to helping them open things, supervising and providing social interaction.

And what I see in their lunch boxes never ceases to amaze me!

Loved the sound of Linda's recipe: must print it out and try it.

Maz

Thanks everone for your ideas. :)

We tried your recipe today Linda.... it went down very well :D.

We used diffrent pasta shapes mixed together, which spurred on lots of conversation between the children making lunchtime last for 1.5 hours :o

I'm glad it was a success! Might have to try it myself at home one evening!! Probably when my son comes home for a visit as he is a vegetarian.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)