Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthdays

We are currently planning for next half term ( 7 weeks )and i wondered if anyone had any ideas for a topic on birthdays and parties - . We havent done this topic before so if any of you can help with medium term plans we would be very grateful.

Thank you!

Jackie

Haven't done parties as such, but in our toys topic we covered parties in role play - have you looked at toys already because they would fit in with parties and there are lots of things you can do (toys from the past, how toys move, what they are made of etc etc).

Strictly on the party front - lots of cooking/changing state activities, such as making jellies and ice pops etc

Dance and circle games for PE lessons?

I'm sure there are loads of stories about parties - My Naughty Little Sister has a story about taking all the cherries(?) off the top of the trifle - good for PSED topic.

we did birthdays as part of a celebrations topic. I made an "invitation" from Kipper and read the story of Kipper's birthday. We made cards/ wrapped presents/ made cakes/ matched birthday cards (i bought 2 of each with numbers from 0-10and laminated them) for matching/ ordering etc,

we made wrapping paper by printing (pattern making), we had a party for kipper with food and hats and music. We made pretend food from play dough blew up balloons and decortade the home corner for a RP party.

we wrote thank you cards to Kipper and he wrote one back!

we made a birthday chart and (relating to the story) discussed yesterday/ tomorrow.

we provided envelopes/ paper (folded) in writing area and children made (and posted) cards to everyone they could think of!

hope these ideas are helpful.

Rebecca

We also have covered this as part of a topic on Celebrations. We had a party in our role play area and had lots of toys as guests. We also covered shoe boxes with wrapping paper - so the lids could be removed and replaced without tearing the paper. children could then put toys inside as gifts for the party.

Collect some gift bags and attach a label with a discription of the gift on it - to be read by an adult children listen and choose from a range of gifts that are on view the correct one.

We also play a game called "What's in the box ?" Children listen to 3 or 4 clues to a gift before saying what it is - It has 4 legs, a wet nose, eats bones and likes walks - older more able children can after some examples give out the clues.

Play party games / dances.

Thanks for all your ideas. I have got a lot of work to do over the holls!. After just having a fantastic half term with a new topic on Fairy tales, im not quite as enthusiastic on Parties. The head of early years fancies some change. We have just got dates for ISI inspection Jan 23rd 06, I am wondering if they will focus so much on early years after just having a glowing offsted report in Jan? Anyone in a similar position ?

jackie :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)