Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speech And Language Development Help Please!

Hi all

I have been asked to put a list together of toys which help to develop language during play. I feel there are so many so just wondered if anyone had any favourites (for all ages) which they feel have helped in this area of learning in the past. I was thinking puppets/theatre, books, rhymes, cars etc.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully if we get some new ideas we will be able to purchase them toys in the future. Regards.

Netta

Sorry, but isn't it skilled adults that help develop language during play. As you say the reason you can't really define this to a list is that any toy/ resource can be used to develop language?

One of the tips that was passed on by the SaLT was to put toys just out of reach - or in a see through box so that the child has to 'ask' for help to get it. It is adult interaction that is the best thing - good modelling/encouragement, but toys like dolls, animals and small world are good and are great to share, there are always things like food, cups and saucers etc (even though I don't think many people still use them!) for tea time, picnic or cafe play. Playdough and empty biscuit, chocolate box trays etc and dough tools. Books. things like balloons and bubbles are exciting. bags with different things in for the children to explore through always go down well and cause lots of discussion in our nursery. Washing dolls clothes - water tray, washing line and pegs, washing the 'pots'

I have to go to work now but may be able to find the notes from the course to see if there was anything else, but it is interaction that is the most important.

Cath

Yes interaction is essential to language development and all toys, equipment and the environment support language development. Open-ended resources can be the most stimulating because of the imaginative thinking required, where the children have to use language to communicate their thoughts and ideas. Obviously adults model language skills but communicating with peers shouldn't be overlooked as an important part of children's language development.

games which involve an adult input...

listening tapes/ cds (these days)

song sacks...

as others have said it is modelling the good language and interaction which are the best ones.

we had a someone from SALT come in once a week and play table games with the children, all involving interaction and also understanding of the language.. like on under etc... all revolved around simple items made into a game..

a ball and skittles..pictures under the skittles.. knock it down and tell me what it is.. sometimes on word others a short phrase

puppet and pictures... puppet is hungry can you find... and give it to them..

post box

you get the idea.. all needed the adult though

perhaps a few game bags with instructions on how to use them.

Inge

I have a lovely toy called 'Beat Baby' which comes with a book of rhymes/songs. The children I work with love it and it has led to loads of lang dev. I think they are about £15 on Amazon.

Kathryn

telephones and mobiles - even children in my setting who don't/can't 'talk', make appropriate noises whilst holding a phone in their hand! Such a simple idea and yet the best thing I've added to our role play area to date! :o

Thanks everyone for your replies. Obviously I realise that good role modelling and adult interaction is the key to language development, but I have been asked to provide a list so that new eguipment can be purchased that's all. I just wanted to know if anyone could recommend any good items which children have enjoyed. I will share your feedback with my manager that has asked me to do this. Thanks to anyone that has replied.

Netta

Anything that involves blowing: bubbles, paper or foil boats on water, painting with straws as this helps with SaLT.

Rach

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)